Search results

1. E

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

2 subs gives very good results when placed at mid points on opposite walls, in my case front and back walls. I have experimented with other placements for long periods of time and return to this arrangement. Yes, if I move to the back wall, I can localize the sub there, but, maybe because it is...
  2. E

Listening Window Versus Toe In

I think that 'the quite regular set up' is wrong, and that speakers typically should be toed in, so that one is listening on axis. I can only understand their being toed out to tame an unnatural high frequency rise.
  3. E

Don't set your subwoofer on the floor

A couple of thoughts come to mind: Welti and Devantier's research does say that both the Mean Spatial Variance, the evenness of the bass throughout the room, and the Mean Output Level are best with 4 subs in the corners. However, they also write that the MSV is nearly as good with 2 subs at...
  4. E

Bass heavy ear buds

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md Scroll down 2/3 of the way to find rankings and measurements for in ear headphones. There are some good ones that subjectively treat all notes equally, which is really what you might be looing for, and some that emphasise...
  5. E

Movies Worth Owning

The funniest movie I have ever seen is Death at a Funeral, the original British one that the Sony remake destroyed. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it, and I rarely watch a movie twice.
  6. E

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

A favourite of mine: Dominque Fils-Aimé jazz? blues? r&b? The whole album is of demonstration quality.
  7. E

Revel F228 woofer

They told you to keep it AND charged you for it, no return nor refund? That's unbelievable and very troubling. I hope this isn't the new Harman under Samsung ownership. Or were you told they would send you the correct woofer when they are restocked?
  8. E

Paradigm's new Founder serie

Back in the early 80s, I knew all the boys at Paradigm, and yes, Scott was one of the founders. I wonder whether the folks that bought Paradigm made the decision to alter the FR to match another popular brand (read B&W). Paradigm designers initially used the anechoic facilities at NRCC before...
  9. E

The (dubious) usefulness of subwoofers - opinions needed

As you surmise, it may not be worth your while. The PSI A25s are a 3 way speakers and won't benefit much from the reduction of frequency modulation in the mids as much as a 2 way speaker would, nor is low frequency response much of an issue. However, adding sub(s) will allow you to control the...
  10. E

Paradigm's new Founder serie

One can hope that they return to their sonic roots, providing speakers with flat frequency response instead of the house curve they adopted.
  11. E

Best Piano Recordings

I tend to prefer solo piano to it with orchestra, and I only have about 200 solo cds. The music on many of which is sublime. The only recordings recently that have startled me with their presence in the room are Stephen Kovacevich's Beethoven sonatas on EMI, and depending how closely I sit...
  12. E

Dual Opposed Subwoofer & Room Acoustics

Welti's and Devantier's research on subs in square rooms (a worst case) state that the use of two subs at mid points on opposite walls controls the rooms standing waves well and evens out the bass response throughout the room almost as well as 4 subs at mid points on all four walls. The downside...
  13. E

need closed headphones advice (200 euro range)+ limitations

I can only speak for the K371s, which I own and love. Sonarworks does not provide a usable, eq correction curve for them, so my son-in-law producer tells me. He also feels the extreme highs, in the 10k range, are muted. They sound fine to me. His Focal Clears sound bright- different strokes I...
Top Bottom