Search results

1. S

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

I can appreciate the engineering feat in making a DAC as good as this, but I agree, we're at the point (and have been there for a while) where most people will appreciate features like 12V trigger in/out, and a larger variety of inputs/outputs over additional performance. I still have an SMSL...
  2. S

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

I imported a Hypex NC252MP from Audiophonics to the US, and it was definitely worth the shipping cost. Amazing service, incredible construction, and at a reasonable price. This company knows how to build amplifiers, and here is even more proof of this. What an amp!
  3. S

Solstice MLTL Measurements

That would be interesting to compare! That Satori tweeter is much more expensive so hopefully it does improve things (and significantly). Nearly a year later I'm still pretty floored with these speakers. Can't say I have much to compare them with in those higher price ranges, as I haven't...
  4. S

DIYers dream, FREE cabs like Sonus Faber...

WHOA. I have lots of family there but they aren't into audio :( otherwise I'd be $100 down and with a very angry wife :) thank you for sharing.
  5. S

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Crazy performance for the money :o If the differences were audible I'd sell my SMSL M500 to get this! Getting into PC gaming and collectibles is horrid right now (parts shortages, high demand, etc.), so it is nice to see a hobby where obtaining amazing performance is still getting cheaper :)
  6. S

SMSL SA400 Review (Power Amplifier)

Yup, if you combine a 252NC with a SMSL Sanskrit II you will have an excellent DAC and a way better power amp for less money than this unit alone!
  7. S

I put my order in when it was shown as backordered, and it eventually shipped 6 or 7 weeks later. I think it's just a running backorder at this point. I am in the process of adding some room treatment, especially to break up that bass hump. I put in a shag rug from Costco and I hear a...
  8. S

I have, and they are very enjoyable. Probably some of the best speakers I've heard... I haven't been to any audio shows and heard every speaker out there but I've heard a few different showrooms (I recently visited the Schiit showroom in Santa Clarita) and I genuinely think there is more detail...
  9. S

Thanks! And thank you for the info - I will peruse their posts...
  10. S

Thanks! Good advice. Will have to do some more measurements soon.
  11. S

From a quality point of view, does it make sense to DIY loudspeakers?

I got to those measurements today. Also found some tucked away in an old forum post. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/solstice-mltl-measurements.21028/
  12. S

I recently finished building some Solstice MLTL speakers (parts express kit designed by Jeff Bagby - https://www.parts-express.com/Solstice-MLTL-Reference-Tower-Speaker-Kit-300-708) and some individuals were curious about measurements. I'm in the processing of figuring out active EQ and tweaking...
  13. S

Heard nothing but great things about Jeff. It was very sad when he passed. Wish I would've gotten to meet him at least once. Should have the measurements tomorrow... wife got off work early and doesn't like to hear frequency sweeps!
  14. S

Placed an order in early October, received late November. It seems like ordering just gets you in the queue. I almost canceled my order because I thought they were discontinued, but I'm happy I held out.
  15. S

I thought Parts-Express had some but I don't see them posted anymore. I've been doing measurements, and tweaking the stuffing to get the bass response I like. I can post some tomorrow. It's just a UMIK-1 so don't expect anything of Amir's quality but I can definitely post an in-room response.
  16. S

Lots of great comments here regarding DIY vs retail. One comment to add is that if you can buy a kit where the cabinets are pre-cut (e.g. C-notes), you won't need to go too crazy on buying/borrowing tools. One kit I'd like to vouch for is the Solstice MLTL kit from Parts Express. It's not cheap...
  17. S

Niles SI-275 Amplifier Review

Got lucky the other day, and scored a Niles SI-2125 for $120! It's (along with an SMSL Sanskrit Mk II) replacing a Yamaha AVR and wow what a difference. The hiss I got from the Yamaha is now gone, and everything just sounds much more clear. These Niles amps are bargains for what they can do -...
  18. S

ASR Open Source Streamer Project

How about digital out as an option (via coax/optical)? That way it will be compatible with most existing digital setups (would allow for end-users to reuse their DAC).
  19. S

New GR-Research Video - Audiophile Cable Truths

Regardless you can't correlate radio reception of the cables to the impact on noise/interference. It if can be demodulated it would show up in a 20 Hz- 20 KHz spectrum. That would be much more telling.
Top Bottom