Search results

1. K

This One has Me Confused

I recently purchased a Pass XP-12 to replace my aging ML 38s. After installation, I noticed gobs of high frequency distortion, especially in Operatic female voices. I measured every component in the signal chain separately. All are performing in spec. The XP-12 has very impressive test results...
  2. K

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

Speaker measurements can provide some very useful info that you will never get from listening. Sensitivity (how much power do I need to drive these things?), low frequency response (do I need a subwoofer?), angular response (can the person next to me get the same sound?), integraton between the...
  3. K

The Quality Of Tape: The new transfers of Decca’s Ring recordings

I'm not one for nit picking, but....... Wagner died many years before Hitler was born. His son's wife, Winifred befriended and promoted Hitler's cause. Only and because of this, Richard Wagner's music became associated with Nazism. In his youth, Wagner was a left-wing revolutionary, so...
  4. K

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Yes. If you take the bottom off your TT, you will see one or two capacitors at least. These are in the power supply for the table. With 70 year old caps, I would expect that the capacitance has increased significantly (I've seen 1.5x). Although this is not necessarily a problem, capacitor...
  5. K

Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

This is a great test and discussion! There is one reason to "upgrade" the capacitors in a piece of gear. As capacitors age, the capacitance value changes. When repairing and re-tuning older FM Tuners I have found that some 40 year old electrolytics have increased in value by 1.5x. Older types...
  6. K

Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

I've replaced the electrolytic capacitors in many, many pieces of audio gear. Tuners seem to have an abundance of electrolytic caps. They've all changed capacitance, some by 1.5x, nearly always increasing in capacitance value. Film caps don't seem to change at all, even after 50 years. I...
  7. K

PrimaLuna Dialogue Seven Tube Amp Review

I'm pretty sure that the design goal was to make this amp have a type of sound that a lot of listeners prefer. Creating an amp with good specs that is neutral was not important. I am a very tech guy who strives for good performance. But I can understand the reasoning behind this design. Some...
  8. K

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

I am interested. I have a Apt preamp ans preamp 2. I will probably need an MC preamp for my Koetsu RS. Forgiv my ignorance, but I don't know how to PM in this Forum. Could you help me? Thanks.
  9. K

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

Relevance is different for every one of us. I have no problem with digital. I have a huge CD and download collection. I enjoy it. My point is that I want to have confidence that an LP is all analog. It is a simple as that.
  10. K

You are correct. My point though was that I would like to have the confidence that an LP is all analog. Sound is not the issue with me. The thought that a company would tout their great LP mastering without telling us that there is a digital step is abhorrent. Keep LPs analog. Keep CDs, SACDs...
  11. K

For me, the point of choosing to listen to an LP is the knowledge that what I'm listening to has always been all analog. That there's never been digital in the path. I listen to digital (CD, SACD, and downloads). I know that it is digital when I listen to it. Some is good, some is bad. I know it...
  12. K

Bowers & Wilkins 805S Bookshelf Speaker Review

Good advice. I'm a tinkerer, so it is in my nature to figure things out and attempt fixes. I like learning this way. I like the sound well enough. In fact, I was happy until a friend said they were too "Laid back". So I played with .EQ-ing the 1-5 KHz band. Getting the fr flatter really improved...
  13. K

Could be. Looks like the more recent 805 D3 and D4 have the same dip. I'm more concerned about the discrepancy between the stated crossover values and what's been measured here. I can fix the dip easily enough. Seems that one should be looking for a speaker that doesn't have coloration. If they...
  14. K

I have these speakers. I've had to tweak an analog graphic eq to get voices to come forward enough to sound proper. Sounds great now. With respect to the crossover at 4KHz....I've found the circuit diagram for the crossover on this speaker. It is all passive first order L-R and R-C circuits...
  15. K

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE vs Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Check out the Bryston BDA-3. more $$$, but great reviews. Will accept dsd64 on hdmi inputs (4!) and the usb. I will buy one shortly.
  16. K

Using Oppo to input digital files to a stand-alone DAC.

Bad English from me. What I mean is that I use the the transport within the Oppo for physical discs and an SSD connected to the Oppo via USB for digital files. Right now, I send the digital data to the DAC within the Oppo. I am proposing to take the digital data from the Oppo (via the outputs...
  17. K

Hey, thanks for replying. I am sending the Oppo analog to my preamp now. I've done this since I got the Oppo 105. I know that the Oppo DAC is real good. I am hoping that the Bryston DAC would be even better! Foolish hope?
  18. K

I sincerely hope this is the right forum for my question. I am currently using an Oppo bdp-105 for all my digital playback. I use the Oppo interface to download PCM and DSD music files from an SSD. I use the transport within the Oppo to play and convert discs (CD to 1x SACD). I never have to...
  19. K

Is there a relationship between IQ and education quality? My understanding is that IQ is a measure of native intelligence, not learning. The range of IQ given in the reference is from 94 to 104. I'm assuming that average (or is it mean?) IQ is 100. There is very little difference between 94 and...
  20. K

Hi, I just this moment signed up for this forum. I am researching DACs. I have my eyes on the RME ADC-2 and the Benchmark DAC3 HGC (or the L version). I have a Levinson 38s preamp which I love for its lack of coloration and for its six inputs (yes, 6). My inputs are: Turntable (with phono...
Top Bottom