Search results

1. SaberCat

Bottlehead Crack Headphone Amplifier Kit Review

That's cool SIY. I have formed my perspective on audio use cases for different capacitor types based on my own experiences and research over 40 years; everyone is free to do as they see fit in a design or repair scenario as long as it's safe. High ESR or electrically leaky caps can cause lots...
  2. SaberCat

Friend, as another engineer I hear your frustration and empathise. I agree a Capacitor is very simple; two conducting plates, separated by insulating dielectric material to store space charge; AC passes according to the capacitive impedance law, DC is blocked. ESR and other simple parameters are...
  3. SaberCat

Hey sorry for late reply - have been busy with work. Yes the Dayton's should fit the bill also - the Mundorf's are indeed pricey though at the time I got a good deal on the pair from a (good feedback) european seller on eBay. The power tube change to the bass performance was very noticeable -...
  4. SaberCat

I run a BHC/Speedball - after getting. a bit fed up with the standard sound I upgraded the output caps to Mundorf 100uF film caps (they are big but they do fit under the panel). I also now run a vintage Tungsol 7236 as the output tube, -along with a box of different 12AU7's (which I cannot for...
  5. SaberCat

Audio GD - bad rap in the past -new breed !!

Yes I see your point, and agree to a point - however I dont think the vendor is a cynical purveyor of fake high end equipment, the cost of the devices is way too high for that. Unlike a Chinese fake Rolex the parts in an Audio-GD are largely excellent as far as I can see, its just that the...
  6. SaberCat

Audio GD - bad rap in the past -new breed !!

A bit late but adding my 5c worth....I bought an Audio-Gd NFB11.28 on eBay as "for parts or repair"; I had no expectations but bought it as a very cheap project to while away a rainy day. On opening the unit up (which was utterly dead) I could see the same blue encapsulated transformer they seem...
  7. SaberCat

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Further to all the above, static charges (i.e. excesses or deficiencies of electrons on one thing relative to another) accumulate on insulated bodies due to friction thjrough movement (mainly)...ie the so called triboelectric effect. They will simply redistribute across what is now a connected...
  8. SaberCat

That's a good additional safety measure for sure John; was there no DC protection at all on the output in the earlier design ? I'll not sweat about it since my HD650's are ancient anyway....and I reckon I've reduced the major risk of DC getting to the output through the TPA6120a's detonating...
  9. SaberCat

So overvoltage protection on the rails after the LDO regs in case of LDO failure due to ESD or other factor ?
  10. SaberCat

It's OK dude - I do appreciate the advice, which is of course well meant. FYI I am an EE who has worked for a big US semi manufacturer and have a reasonably good understanding of ESD risks and mitigations in semiconductor electronics, and so feel comfortable with the solution I have implemented...
  11. SaberCat

That's cool and you are quite right John - however I can confirm that the seller absolutely did not ask me to destroy the old unit, and as long as I do not resell it (I won't) then I'm not harming anyone by modding and recommissioning it. Also the AC adapter I am using is just a transformer in a...
  12. SaberCat

I had a spare wall wart with 15V 1.5A AC output and with a power plug which fits the L30 very nicely (luckily, though it would not be hard to solder a new one on had it not fitted - the AC input socket is a common one). I suspect anything in the range 12-16V AC, 1A or higher will likely work...
  13. SaberCat

I just completed (it was in a long queue !) adding my own ESD fix to the "retired" early batch unit I was left with after the Amazon seller replaced my L30 last year. Very simple; just dremeled away the paint inside the inner case where the volume pot nut screws down, added a solder lug and...
  14. SaberCat

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

I fully concur - the speed and diligence with which they first acknowledged the ESD design flaw with the L30 amp, then rectified by shipping replacements to all customers, is a sign of a company that wants to put their reputation up there with any "big name" player. I would have no hesitation...
  15. SaberCat

Topping E30 DAC Review

Interesting issue - the Loki appears to be a 100% analog gain stage & passive filter stack with no digital circuitry, so there's no obvious way for it to feed back any interference into the digital components of the Dac. The only thing I can think of here is the possibility that the Loki has an...
  16. SaberCat

Topping E30 DAC Review

These noise problems can be very challenging to resolve. The fact that you can remove the RCA connection between the E30 and the SMSL but still hear the noise as long as the cable remains attached to the amp does indicate to me at least that there are two problems most likely....firstly a...
  17. SaberCat

I have to say I love my Crack (stop laughing guys). Is it a "clean and pure" audio experience - no. Is it fun - yes ! There is no way I can compare the output from the Crack with my L30, or Rega Elexr, or O2 transistor amps....it's like inserting an effects module into the chain. With some...
  18. SaberCat

Topping E30 DAC Review

For what it's worth I use an E30 on USB to my PC with both an L30 and also sometimes into a Bottlehead Crack tube amp (customised with Alps pot, Mundorf output caps and with the constant current speedball option); driving HD800 and HD650 depending on my mood. I power the E30 with a 5V iFi...
  19. SaberCat

Topping E30 DAC Review

That makes sense John. I must have got an older unit, it's an annoyance. As the range expands you will find more of these cross-compatibility risks....but the main issue in my case was user stupidity.
  20. SaberCat

Topping E30 DAC Review

I have a small rant for our friends at Topping to consider.....the E30/L30 are sold separately but obviously make a fine pair and are intended to work together. So....I bought both and loved them, they are a beautiful office system and with HD800's are as satisfying to listen to as my DX7 Pro...
Top Bottom