Search results

1. NirreFirre

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

It's about how the human hearing system is proven not to be able to distinguish the "noise" (in 8 bits or a lesser DAC) or "signal" (in 16, 24 bits or a "bespoke" DAC). Especially when the signal is a complicated music signal. The hearing system masks it. And this is for example being used in...
  2. NirreFirre

Switching from Marantz to Onkyo TX-RZ50

Sadly, ASR seems to be attracting more and more of the brand- and "even my wife" crowd Even though "science" is in its name, I guess if one lacks background with it, it's very hard to "get the glasses" ad hoc
  3. NirreFirre

Why are AVRs and AVPs so expensive?

Good advise! Just another €0.02 from experience. Having the combination of using a projector and a HTPC will in my experience heighten the probability of issues mitigated by a balanced connection. Running the source on one side of the room and the amps and speakers in the other made them use...
  4. NirreFirre

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

Whoa, very very nice timing if this is reasonable priced. Having a htpc (lpcm for life!) and projector with sonos as the main sources (also Switch, PS5 etc all doing lpcm 5.1+) for years without a good diracenabled avr in the EU for normal money has been sad. And now that the Onkyo, Pioneer...
  5. NirreFirre

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

Ah, at last someone actually does some math and real world "risk assessment" ("risk" is too strong of a word but my English is rusty) that could've cut this thread down significantly. I haven't verified peng's numbers but it seems you must have something like; a) a need for > reference level...
  6. NirreFirre

Audibility of AVR's vs ASR's better reviewed equipment?

Exactly. Looking at the electronic parts of the reproduction chain is widely regarded as pretty pointless where I come from (www.faktiskt.io, Swedish forum with similar science and technology based members) when most regular speakers have distortion in the full percentages when playing at or...
  7. NirreFirre

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

I guess we can't really help having so many sources of error and variables. Generally, problems (noise, distortion, "low fidelity") should be handled in the following order (of declining magnitude); room and setup, speakers, electronics. I support the suggestion of keeping the measured neutral...
  8. NirreFirre

Combining MiniDSP with an AVR

Excellent post and myself - as probably quite a few other in here - have been in similar waters with various combination-of-boxes and usability being a top priority, having the complexities of the hobby taking place in the family media room is always a risk prone business One must plan...
  9. NirreFirre

Exciting news from Onkyo and Pioneer: TX-RZ70/ VSX-LX705, TX-RZ9/VSX-LX905 = Auro 3D + DLBC!

Except from the usual marketing bs required by the trade, Robert Vieira seems to be genuinely a technical inclined guy and have direct access to "the Japanese brains". @amirm Is it a nono for them/you to reach out and suggest a deep dive interview on their technical design, the 4ohm...
  10. NirreFirre

Can Dirac overcome the Onkyo RZ50 shortcomings? X3700H instead?

Yep, at least it seems Sweden and Finland gets some in a week or two (the European, Africa and ME distribution deal was struck in July): https://www.hembiobutiken.se/produkter/forstarkare/?tillverkare=Onkyo https://www.power.se/c/4444/tv-och-ljud/hogtalare-radio-och-hifi/receiver/...
  11. NirreFirre

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Exactly, there's a difference between scientific method and scientific results. Amir's doing great work, (specifically narrow due to this fact and other circumstances), with the former. Imho, more readers needs to remember/understand that and adjust and perhaps limit one's use of the word...
  12. NirreFirre

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

This! After 30+ pages (yes, I'm in the market after 15 years of an AVR-less entertainment setup) I think Amir and this site is quite clear on what and how he/it does but readers sometimes miss/forget the very limits he work within. Combined with the other, traditional review sites/magazines...
  13. NirreFirre

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

As others have said, your setup will be unbalanced in that the amps performance can't be utilized by any AVR but the X3800H seems to loose on more than ~10dB of SINAD. It depends on more parameters for sure but getting a more expensive unit than say, a Onkyo RZ50 or Integra variant, that lacks...
  14. NirreFirre

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Agreed, it would be nice to have a set of measurements done for each category of equipment but I guess there's reasons Amir isn't strictly follow some checklist. Rebuilding, kids, life etc As I have similar class D amps in the front and really need 1,5V+ the Onkyo RZ50 seems like a good option...
  15. NirreFirre

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

Devil's (cat's?) advocate here. Couldn't a test of how it rejects noise from external sources be of value? I mean, there's a lot of snakes behind many boxes and some are unshielded, transports extremely high (hdmi etc) and low frequencies, variable high voltage (speaker and to a lesser extent...
  16. NirreFirre

Arcam AV40 HDMI 2.1 Upgrade?

Embarrassing of them not to adhere to the new "non hdmi versioning standard" of listing the exact supported features when the only thing changed is those in- and outputs (and the silicon etc the inside).
  17. NirreFirre

How to downsize without downgrade - speaker advice

Surprised no one suggests Elac, the German brand with not just the excellent DBR-62 but other, more refined/capable (FS or BS series. Having that signature ribbon tweeter, great power handling abilities in a compact format but haven't seen any spinoramas though). I was close to buying an active...
  18. NirreFirre

Dirac > Audyssey XT32 ... Sure, Always?

I was looking at Dirac (in the new Onkyo RZ50 review thread) and my old university's department where they started the research 10+ years ago and one thing led to another.. I don't know if this thread or another has discussed the upcoming features of "multi speaker active correction" but I found...
  19. NirreFirre

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Sorry, a bit OT..Another abstract (2015) that has the interesting detail about a scalar slide input for users to select the preferred amount of "multi loudspeaker eq" and "ordinary" REQ: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275248614_Multichannel_Room_Correction_with_Focus_Control
  20. NirreFirre

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

BTW, I found the (or part of it at least) research from 2014 that seems to be the basis of Dirac's "new" feature, I haven't read the full thesis so cannot say anything on the quality or how robust or heavyhanded the listening tests were performed but at least there's more science being done in...
Top Bottom