Search results

1. M

Deafening hum from new DAC

The only such device I have here (It's my little top-floor office) is the amp I'm using the dac with. I'm guessing that's not a suitable candidate for this exercise..... So I'll look for an old DVD player in the basement - I think we might have one there - plug it in, and give it a try.
  2. M

I can't seem to edit or delete the post myself, so I've reported myself to the system and asked them to remove it. It was just me jabbering away to no useful purpose anyway, so it's no loss. Sorry for the mess. I'll keep away from the return button in future.
  3. M

Yes, i see that. Seems like every time I started a new paragraph, it defined it as a quote from you. Unexpected! I can try to edit or delete the post, if that's allowed. Or I can report myself and have a moderator remove it.
  4. M

That's what it seems like. I also have a Centrance Dacport Slim that produced no hum - switched to the D1 because it seemed to provide a bit more clarity and separation. The Centrance is also a DAC-amp.....which may be significant, or pure co-incidence, or something in between (as in: perhaps...
  5. M

Do you mean the DAC? What would constitute a properly grounded device? Something with a three-prong plug, or something wired properly to avoid grounding issues?
  6. M

"This may be down to how the two DACs manage internal ground connections - for example if one creates separate digital and analogue grounds and the other doesn't." This makes sense to me, as the cause, even though I don't understand it as a process!
  7. M

Might have used the wrong term - just meant that it both arms of the plug were the same width, and it could be plugged in either way.
  8. M

To all (along with thanks to those I neglected to thank individually): When I did the first set of clumsy experiments (described in my first post), the hum with the laptop on battery (disconnected from charger) was still there, if reduced. But just out of curiosity, I tried it again (since I...
  9. M

Hi, Re the first issue: when I tried the MKII with my phone and no charger (just phone>OTG>MKII>amp) the hum disappeared completely. This was with the same rca cables that produce the truly extravagant hum when using the laptop via USB or toslink (latter with 5v external power supply). Re...
  10. M

Hi, Tried using phone and charger. As with running from the laptop on battery, the hum is reduced from loud to annoying, and still audible when playing music at reasonable levels..... It works without the charger as well - just running off the phone battery. The hum is gone completely...
  11. M

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions. My laptop doesn't have an optical output (lenovo t460s - checked the specs on lenovo website). I tried the DAC using a USB to toslink converter, with an external power supply for the DAC - result was the same very loud hum. The 5v came from a phone...
  12. M

Hi, Thanks for the reply and suggestion: establishing whether this is a dud is obviously my most immediate concern! To clarify: do you mean connect the phone to the usb data input (called "in 1" on the MKII), and the phone's charger to the usb "aux power" input?
  13. M

Just bought a SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII. Replaced my Audioengine D1 in a simple desktop system (laptop > DAC > Icepower 50asx2se unit > speakers), and was assaulted with a very loud hum. "Deafening" is only a slight exaggeration. The pitch suggests a ground loop hum, even though the MKII is...
  14. M

Windows 10 audio inactivity causing loud "popping" noise in Topping DAC

Just to report: I was having a related problem after switching from USB to optical adapter and cable for my Audioengine D1. Popping on start of audio, twice between tracks, and even when clicking the mouse. Beetleburper's suggestion and link above solved the problem completely (Thanks!). I...
  15. M

Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps

"Probably" will be good enough, I guess, when the project is rendered pointless by my having acquired a better amp. (Akin to last year's project of replacing the camera in my beloved Blackberry Z30 after I'd crumbled morally, jumped ship and bought a used LG V20. At least it's whole again, as...
  16. M

\ I see where you're coming from there - but given that the op amp that comes in the FX amp is being sold at 50 pc /$2.27 US (4.5 c each!!) on ebay, and that the OPA228P costs almost 100 times that (!!!)....er,......well, to be honest, I don't really know what point I want to make...
  17. M

Not sure if anyone is visiting this thread at this point, but here goes: I have in front of me an FX502SPRO and a pair of OPA228P op amps. My understanding is that 1) the op amps in the FX are not soldered in - are meant to be replaceable - and 2) that the OPA228P are an appropriate...
Top Bottom