Search results

1. P

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

Never heard either speakers. Found Room Perfect has less positive effects on well measuring speakers and rooms. Makes sense, if not broken it has a smaller correction. Would assume the LS50 will not benefit as much as normal. Appears to be very well engineered. Not familiar with the Lyngdorf...
  2. P

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

The XLS 2002 is the better option. Has twice as many amplifier modules and filter capacitance of the XLS 1502. Should be capable of twice the instantaneous current. There is DSP that will allow true low frequency output.
  3. P

Which class D amplifier would you guys choose?

I voted with credit card. Got a pair of Orchard BOSC or Starkcrimson before Christmas. Purely power amp, performance is better than needed. Like the lower gain it offers.
  4. P

Blind test 16 times, audiophile USB Cable vs USB cable

I had completely forgotten this about this thread. Never purchased an AP analyzer, did rig up a low Rez testing system. Integral sound card in a 2012 Mac Mini. REV. Focusrite Clarett 4Pre. Noise floor is fairly high, the sound card is a limiting factor. But 16 bit range. A 30 meter coiled...
  5. P

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

My ignorance shows here. I was thinking of ordering a TDAI-1120. But use Purr Music playback software. Does not appear that it is possible to hardwire the digital feed from the computer into this streaming amplifier. My good options are USB, Thunderbolt, and FireWire. There is a low...
  6. P

Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

Couple items. Replaced a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre with a KRK Ergo. Owned for 10 years. Big PITA. Was using a 10 meter Corning TB cable to connect interface to computer. FireWire is like USB, shorter is better. Like having computer on one side of room and stereo on the other. Requires a 10 meter...
  7. P

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

I prefer Class AB amps. But a bridged XLS-2502 is a beast. It should be capable of overdriving the subwoofer easily.
  8. P

AHB2 real world power output - enough?

The culprit might be the track also. I have a CD that was mastered too hot. Digital clipping is hard on amplifiers and speakers.
  9. P

KIMBER KABLE: Do High-end USB Cables Make A Difference?

For analog I use these two brands primarily. For USB the USB cables that come with the external hard drives work fine. All are 3.0 now. Purchased my first and only audio brand data cable years ago. Audioquest FireWire cable. Also a bottom tier. Cut it open to see what was inside. Did not...
  10. P

Watch out for dealer (or seller) feedback. I was interested in the M Series of amps from Micromega. They have their own DRC system. I saw a M-100 used for a reasonable price. Contacted seller and it was obvious he was a dealer selling either demo or at below MSRP. Wanted to know if unit...
  11. P

Low End DAC vs High End DAC Sound Impression & Comparison

I used an ES series SACD player around 2002. Was very nice. Moved on to Marantz afterwards. If you read here, the dac section is bit transparent once the resolution reaches 16 bits. This is way below the measured performance of many modern dacs. Headphone amp is another story. Some are...
  12. P

Review and Measurements of Crown XLS 1502 Amp

Volume control (attenuators here) does not operate like this. It reduces the input signal to the amplifier. If the output level is low (> 2 volts) it is set higher or wide open say. If the source has high output voltage the attenuators can reduce the input signal level. This is why the volume...
  13. P

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

This lack of filtering in the EVALUATION board can be addressed. Spectral used to recommend high capacitance interconnect cables to provide bandwidth limiting. Same should work here.
  14. P

BoXem Audio Arthur 2408/N2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

Or an easier solution, change it to Hanscrafted. Got to be one there at the plant. BTW, very nice. Know nothing about sound, or lack of. Or input section. But one of these would sing sweetly with my 100 dB+ efficient speakers. Thank you for building these products.
  15. P

I have not seen a unit from Lyngdorf that outputs digital. It seems to be a decision made early to only offer analog out post DRC. The flexibility offered by the sub output is limited. But Room Perfect does make small changes to amplitude and phase. I think Peter decided on a fixed slope for...
  16. P

EI Transformers vs Toroidal Transformers

I use both, and for a given power (voltage and current) rating EI are much more expensive than toroidal. The bandwidth of toroidal is higher, some more line noise couples through. The EI filter the line a little. Normally buy the Antek toroidal due to pricing, availability, and size. And try...
  17. P

Looking for New preamp after 23 Years

I would recommend a preamp with balanced outputs to drive the Orchard amps. Or a dac with analog inputs, volume control, and balanced outputs. Leo at Orchard Audio feels the BOSC amps perform better if driven with a balanced source. That is enough for me. I still have an AI Mod 2D. Been...
  18. P

LM3886 Class AB "gainclone" chip-amps - DIY , kit and assembled since 1999...

That is very nice. Have not seen many Gainclones with a switching supply. Good to see unique applications. I use a LM3886 based amp with a resonant mode supply. Like a switcher, but not exactly the same. No spikes at multiples of the power line frequency.
  19. P

Sugden Amplifiers

Like many audio products the pricing structure has changed. Here used to be 500.00 Sugden amps. Do not think much has changed beyond pricing.
Top Bottom