Search results

1. T

Electricity consumption of audio and video gear

The efficiency of a speaker has no bearing on what percentage of the electrical energy consumed turns into heat. Whatever energy comes out of the speakers as acoustic energy is only in that form temporarily; it is quickly converted into heat in the room when the sound is absorbed by carpet...
  2. T

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

Not for me. I don't want an amp that is only marginally well-enough cooled without a fan. From the Tyr owner's manual: "Also, if you like your house warm--as in, over 80 degrees F, don’t be surprised if Tyr may need some additional fan cooling."
  3. T

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Fog in the Owens Valley, December 2018.
  4. T

Schiit IEMagni Review (Headphone Amplifier)

It would work as an under-desk mount but it's on the side of a bed in this pic. The front panel of the Magni is pointing upward.
  5. T

You can remove the plastic core (that's shaped to fit the pot's shaft) from a Schiit-supplied knob and glue it into a knob you've turned. I've made a couple for myself (wood, not silver) but there's too much labor in each knob for me to want to make a business out of it.
  6. T

Are there any Gutsy audio companies?

I apologize for posting it. I understand now why it was inappropriate. When I posted it, I failed to carefully consider what I was posting.
  7. T

Wes, the OP, encouraged us to stay on-topic and post about audio companies taking a stand. I did that. I have no agenda to support any political view. I posted an instance I was aware of. If I knew of an audio company taking a right-wing stand I'd post that too.
  8. T

Bose used to say the 901 had no power limit for home use. Not sure if it's true but there are stories of Bose plugging the speaker into a 120VAC outlet for a demonstration and it wouldn't fail.
  9. T

I'd call it shameless. (I was having a hard time finding the right word for it yesterday)
  10. T

What does your dog eat

Freshly Poured dog food.
  11. T

Speaking of knobs, the knob on the IEMagni looks nice from the pics--nicer than the knobs on most of the Schiit units in that size box.
  12. T

Why are headphone amplifiers still so important to audiophiles?

Decades ago, Japanese car manufacturers had a gentlemen's agreement to not make cars with more than about 270 horsepower. Part of the idea was to avoid triggering the government to regulate such things more severely.
  13. T

Maybe not gutsy, but it is bold to sell AC line cables for $5000+ like at least one audio company does.
  14. T

Movies with great music in them?

Bullitt, scored by Lalo Schifrin. 'Shifting Gears' (the section before the car chase takes off) is particularly fine.
  15. T

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Grado HP2; bought them in 1994.
  16. T

Review and Measurements of Schiit Mani Phono Stage

I measured 16.1VDC across C1 when using two 9V batteries (which, together, measured 17.6VDC when putting out the 50mA that the Mani draws). I don't hear hum from my Mani at any volume level I ever use so I don't feel a need to power it with DC rather than the AC wall wart. About that wall...
  17. T

Review and Measurements of Schiit Mani Phono Stage

The capacitor at the input to the voltage regulator (C1 in the schematic posted by Stephen Bayley) charges to the peak of the rectified waveform, a higher value than the RMS AC voltage of the wall wart. I measured 24.7 VDC across C1 in my Mani, using the wall wart that came with it.
Top Bottom