Search results

1. JB5150

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

I said NOTHING about "measures better" I DID say it is BUILT better, and SOUNDS better. I dont use BAL in SE out. I have other amps that I prefer for my Single Ended needs. Maybe even some low SCORING amps :) If Single Ended MEASUREMENTS are important, there are many higher SCORING amps on...
  2. JB5150

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Far superior to the Topping and SMSL offerings. Great build quality, it can be felt (and heard) simply using the SA-1 compared to "others" low grade parts, feel, and sound. Congratulations on a great design and implementation!!
  3. JB5150

SMSL SP400 Review (headphone amp)

Thanks for the hardware suggestion! :) I'll look at the amp you mentioned (not that I need ANOTHER amp hehe). I do listen loud sometimes, but more importantly, I use a LOT of Headroom Management and Volume Leveling in Roon. This useage results in -3db to -8db of output truncation. The...
  4. JB5150

Yeah, I was expecting SP400 to be louder than SP200. It was very disappointing to me when I heard it. :( SP200 is THE LOUDEST AMP I'VE HEARD. It still blows me away the value it is! I don't think I'll ever sell mine! The gain switches on the bottom of SA-1, would be my only very minor...
  5. JB5150

WATTAGE alone does not indicate how LOUD they will be. The gain structure plays a bigger role here. More gain=More output volume. In VOLUME OUTPUT only, the A90 is loudest, followed by SA-1, then SP400 last (lower gain than the others)
  6. JB5150

Yes. A90 is MUCH louder than SA-1. I do personally prefer the SA-1 over A90. I do have both :) I prefer the "analytical" sound on the THX amps, and find the A90 to be slightly less "analytical". The SA-1 has been a balance between the two (THX and A90).
  7. JB5150

Wattage may be similar, but gain structure on SA-1 is LOWER than A90, so volume output will be lower. The build quality is quite good, I find the font faceplate to be VERY aesthetically pleasing. I usually like the higher gain on my amps, but the SA-1 sounds so damn good!
  8. JB5150

Measurements of Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp(Preview)

I've had this amp for a few days now, and my listening impressions are positive. Very clean and powerful control of my LCD-XC. On SP200, I prefer LCD-XC over LCD-X. On A90, I prefer LCD-X over LCD-XC. SA-1, I like both! There seems to be better control of low frequency with SA-1. Fast...
  9. JB5150

LOL You have an interesting perception of "freakishly high power"
  10. JB5150

Yeah. If I’ve learned anything about SMSL, it’s not to buy their stuff. Especially newly released items. They addressed the RCA output issues on the M400 with an “upgraded” revision, but will not replace my unit that was purchased at release. They expect me to open the unit, and solder...
  11. JB5150

Just my opinion. It’s not worth $600. SP400 DOES sound a bit cleaner and more detailed. this detail and cleanliness come at the cost of output level. SP400 is not even close to as loud as SP200. I would encourage you to find a retailer who’s allows for in home demo, so you can see if it fits...
  12. JB5150

ON PAPER, I agree. Not much different. IN REALITY, SP400’s lower gain, COMBINED with the “improved volume range”, makes for a MUCH lower output than other amps.
  13. JB5150

It’s a work in progress. :)
  14. JB5150

This is not my experience. I’ve had both at the same time . A90 is MUCH louder. Even A90 on medium gain is louder. Facts.
  15. JB5150

It’s weak! And weird, like you said. I hated having my amp volume up so high.
  16. JB5150

I don't recall a toggle on SP400.
  17. JB5150

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

May I predict "best ever SINAD"? :)
  18. JB5150

Topping D90 vs SMSL SU-9 vs SMSL M500v2 vs Schiit Modius

Cant go wrong with SU9. Great value for money.
  19. JB5150

Yeah I was looking for more headroom, and the SP400 marketed as 12wx2 seemed like it would fit the bill. Not so. It does sound good, just not enough headroom for me.
  20. JB5150

SMSL can keep their “help” that NO-ONE has ever asked for to be added to an amp. Gain selection is more commonly used as a way to provide for a “more useable volume range”. Do we really need gain selection AND a truncated volume output? I’ve successfully used much more powerful amps without...
Top Bottom