Search results

1. B

Best way from computer into receiver

I want to stream a concert video from my computer to my Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. I can simply do audio and video via HDMI to the receiver, or I can take the audio from my computer to an external DAC (better than the Yamaha internal DAC) via USB, and then to the receiver either via analog or...
  2. B

Reliable DAC

I'm looking for a simple DAC for no more than $150 to use with the optical output of a TV. Could someone advise me which of the basic DACs reviewed here, Topping, SMSL, etc. has proven to be the most reliable? Thank you.
  3. B

New dac experiences

Over the last month I've auditioned some modest dacs, SMSL, Topping, Soncoz for a second system. All measured well here and were recommended. I put them into my main system where my reference is an Audiolab Mdac and tried to listen as objectively as possible. Compared with the mdac, which is ESS...
  4. B

Windows 11 sound settings and HDMI

Do Windows sound settings, sample rate, bit depth etc. affect the computer's HDMI audio output?
  5. B

Help with understanding receiver equalization and settings

I'm trying to understand what my Yamaha RX385 receiver is doing with respect to equalization. I've run the YPAO. If I understand that correctly, the YPAO corrects the frequency response, and speaker distance. I assume then, that the PEQ equalizer setting reflects the YPAO adjustment. I find that...
  6. B

Fixed output DAC with remote

Looking for a DAC with fixed output, i.e. no volume control or attenuation needed, and with a remote that changes inputs. Do any of the current highly rated DACs fit the requirements? Thanks in advance.
  7. B

Ionic Original

What's going on here? https://www.stereogum.com/2184752/bob-dylan-t-bone-burnett-new-audio-format/news/
  8. B

Locking receiver setting

I like to keep my receiver, a Yamaha RXV385, at its Direct setting, but I notice that it switches to some DSP program setting whenever I switch inputs, or turn it off and on. Is there a way of locking a setting? thanks.
  9. B

Problems casting Chromecast Audio from one computer

I use CC Audio to cast internet radio from my work computer which is a recent Intel I5 model. Fairly frequently I get drop outs and sometimes very distorted sound sometimes immediately and sometimes after opening certain programs such as File Explorer. Refreshing the browser page from which I'm...
  10. B

Balanced amps and subwoofer connections

I came across this: DENAFRIPS power amps are true balanced. Please do not connect the amplifier's speaker output to the sub-woofer high level input. Such a connection may potentially damage the amplifier. Is this generally a problem? I have Audiolab monoblocs which are true balanced, and have...
  11. B

Dac output stage

A conventional wisdom I come across a lot is that what really differentiates the quality of dacs is the output/analog stage. Do Amir's measurements assess the quality of output stages?
  12. B

Do tubes do anything well in circuits?

Around here, my impression is that tubes are considered distortion generators and little else. In my time with tube amplifiers I remember reading that there were certain things that tubes do better than solid state components. I know nothing about electronics but am interested in whether there...
  13. B

The Denafrips design philosophy, part 1

The Denafrips Design Philosophy Part 1 - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style
  14. B

New volume control

Received one of these a few days ago, Finished High precision 0.1% version Relay volume controller / HIFI Balance preamp|Amplifier| - AliExpress. Build quality is excellent and it is working as described. It compares very well with my other volume control based on a stepped resistor attenuator...
  15. B

Battery backup

I'm considering one of these, AmazonBasics Standby UPS 400VA 255W, 6 Outlets: Amazon.ca: Electronics, to protect my audio equipment. Do devices like these affect sound quality?
  16. B

Why does my laptop optical drive sound so bad?

I use an old laptop as a streamer, primarily playing internet radio into an Audiolab mdac via USB. The sound is excellent. For fun, I played a CD using the laptop's optical drive. It sounded awful compared with my Cambridge Audio CXC transport, even though it uses the same route as the internet...
  17. B

basic but fabulous DAC

Looking for recommendations for a high performance DAC, but would like to save on things I don't need like headphone amp, MQA, , volume control etc. Thanks in advance.
  18. B

dac with good optical input recommendation

I have a Soncoz. The USB input is very good, the optical not so much. Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced DAC with particularly good optical input implementation for my bedroom TV. I don't need USB. Thanks in advance.
  19. B

DAC with digital output

Looking for a decent DAC with digital output under $500. Thanks in advance.
Top Bottom