Search results

1. sgoldwin

Directiva r1 speaker build

Rick, can you mention how/what you are doing to seal internal seams?
  2. sgoldwin

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

Great, another cliffhanger. this is becoming the Breaking Bad of DIY speaker builds, hard to watch in real time due to all the waiting for the next development; nearly overwhelming to binge watch with all the detail. Sub-plots too. And little comic diversions...
  3. sgoldwin

Gee Rick, maybe I'm just easily impressed, but these seem like excellent initial results with little overall effort. What could be the possible advantage of a passive crossover here? What are you giving up by using the miniDSP?
  4. sgoldwin

Weirdly, I do happen to have about 10 spare precut SPK5 front baffles...
  5. sgoldwin

A little international perspective here: The denovo cabinet is $40 each from parts express. Very reasonable. Shipping 2 of them to the UK is ... $180! No longer reasonable Soundimports.Eu sells denovo but the price is €55 each, about $67. And they are out of stock. But shipping to UK is only...
  6. sgoldwin

Snowman no more, the Directiva takes shape. For those of us following along at home, is there a drawing or table of dimensions and locations of holes?
  7. sgoldwin

I can't believe how on the edge-of-my-seat I am anticipating the next episode in this fantastic thread. @Rick Sykora, build some prototypes! Make my head spin!
  8. sgoldwin

Why not opposing PR on either side like Kia III? Does your modelling indicate better results with PRs on the back?
  9. sgoldwin

SPK5 Unsellable?

I stand corrected.
  10. sgoldwin

SPK5 Unsellable?

Ummm. I just listened to that review. He mentioned nothing about a rumour, just that he, Ron, wonders if they could make such a tweeter.
  11. sgoldwin

SPK5 Unsellable?

Okay, so my Celuaris SPK5 speakers received a lousy review from Amir. Actually, the SPK5 gets pretty much the same mediocre review from everyone: the tweeter sucks, there's a resonance at 400 Hz and the bass is there but nobody feels it. However, the measurements are actually pretty good, the...
  12. sgoldwin

@Rick Sykora, option 3, how short is the port you are using? How much bass boost in the HP filter?
  13. sgoldwin

Purifi SPK5 Speaker Review (Prototype)

I just got an email from Purifi about it. Thanks Rick!
  14. sgoldwin

Well, I am old and my HF hearing is kaput, but I don't particularly hear that rise or experience the SPK5 as bright or fatiguing. Nor do I hear much of a difference when the tweeter polarity is reversed, although measurement indicates it should be a faire bit smoother when reversed. I'm...
  15. sgoldwin

Here you go. Weirdly, brown is normal, green is reversed tweeter polarity.
  16. sgoldwin

not a good assumption. The crossover is a kit I purchase from Purifi, consisting of the PCB and the components. I then stuff and solder the PCB, providing plenty of opportunity to screw it up.
  17. sgoldwin

I think Manufacturer overstates it, but yes I put together and try to sell these copies of the SPK5 specification. Here is an overlay of the SPL for individual woofer and tweeter. Mic at 1m aimed at centre spot between woofer and tweeter. No smoothing, Very short gating to try and capture...
  18. sgoldwin

now at 1m, gated at 5ms. Brown is normal polarity, green is reversed tweeter polarity only. Measured separately, normal polarity, green is woofer, purple is tweeter When I reverse polarities on individual drivers and run a plot, the overlay of normal to reversed shows no differences...
  19. sgoldwin

The sample I'm preparing to ship tomorrow has dual binding posts so it is easy to test a reversed polarity on one of the drivers. The graph below is pretty primitive, using REW, an uncalibrated mic 30cm from a point between tweeter and woofer, 1/24th smoothing, no gating and decidedly echoic...
Top Bottom