Search results

1. J

Interface Mystery

Sounds like maybe there's an opportunity there? :)
  2. J

Interface Mystery

I think it is. Here's a tutorial that shows off a few things it can do (starting at 2:37):
  3. J

Interface Mystery

I agree, it is a bit concerning that something like this could slip through and it wouldn't be acceptable if it were a larger company. As it is, it's one person in Denmark making very unique devices according to his own eccentric tastes. It don't think the cost of time or components figures into...
  4. J

Interface Mystery

Ha, I guess it did. :) I actually think this is why the problem went unnoticed for a while. The Little deFormer is known for its lack of hand holding and extreme sample manipulation capabilities — some of which can get very ugly if you want them to — but it wasn't meant to be doing this. Now it...
  5. J

Interface Mystery

I'm happy to report that the AD converter no longer is broken! I received an email with a firmware update this morning and all the weird artifacts are gone. If I understand it correctly, an error had been introduced while optimizing the audio routines and this caused the inputs to be read twice...
  6. J

Interface Mystery

Yeah, the next step is to hear back from the manufacturer about what's up with those repeated samples. Thanks to everyone who pitched in, and to mansr for figuring it out! In case anyone is interested, here's a not very mathematical illustration of what's going on: 1. A 1000 Hz sine tone at...
  7. J

Topping PA3: subjective impressions

I should say that I use my SMSL for music production so for me a flat response is the main thing. I don't want the amp to make things sound nicer, almost the opposite. That said, I think it does sound good at low to normal levels in a neutral, revealing kind of way.
  8. J

Budget DAC amp....sigh...

I just posted about it in another forum and have been using the SMSL SA-98E (TDA7498E) for about a year with great results. It sounded terrible with the included power supply but with the 36v supply linked to below and a BluDento BLT-HD it's been a perfect setup for me. Whisper quiet, all the...
  9. J

Topping PA3: subjective impressions

I've been using both the $74 Fosi Audio and SMSL versions daily for about a year, powering the speakers in my living room as well as a pair of ATC monitors. They both sound great and have plenty of power. I slightly prefer the SMSL for a couple of reasons. It was incredibly noisy with the...
  10. J

Interface Mystery

That was my thought too at first but apparently not. I'm not sure about image filters but there is an anti-aliasing filter in place. The manufacturer told me he had tweaked the cutoff frequency of it.
  11. J

Interface Mystery

Yup, I just downloaded Audition to make use of its 'Export Data' function and found the same thing. I've sent the information to the manufacturer and am waiting to hear back. I'm hopeful it's a software bug that can be fixed and grateful to you and everyone else who has pitched in. I'll report...
  12. J

Interface Mystery

Actually, two stereo recordings. One is of a sine sweep from 1-20,000 Hz and the other goes up to 80,000 Hz. (Made a mistake and had to re-upload the files)
  13. J

Interface Mystery

I do, and it looks very similar to what you see in the third image from my original post. There are definitely 44,100 sample points per second but they come in identical pairs. Ok, one stereo recording coming up!
  14. J

Interface Mystery

It definitely has its quirks. I promise to say what it is as soon as this gets solved, one way or the other.
  15. J

Interface Mystery

Indeed it can; that's one of its selling points. I don't understand what the samples being pairwise equal means but this sounds like good news! Would you mind explaining a bit more?
  16. J

Interface Mystery

Right, let's see if this works:
  17. J

Interface Mystery

Absolutely. The behavior is completely predictable: A 5 kHz sine tone will be recorded as two tones. One at 5 kHz and another at 22.05 kHz - 5 kHz = 17.05 kHz A 15 kHz sine tone will also be recorded as two tones. One at 15 kHz and another at 22.05 kHz - 5 kHz = 7.05 kHz It's the same as for...
  18. J

Interface Mystery

I think this has to be it. I'm trying to find out how filters are implemented to deal with this but most information about images is found in technical papers and the maths has so far been beyond me. The fact that the signal and its mirror are filtered out around 22K makes me think there is an...
  19. J

Interface Mystery

That's really interesting. This is the first time I've seen anything like what I'm seeing. Does it do the same thing in the audible spectrum? It's a device released in 2019, selling for $1,500+ and with a small but loyal following around the world. It also has a really nice touch screen. :)...
  20. J

Interface Mystery

I've learnt since yesterday that it's a 44.1 kHz 24-bit Cirrus Logic ADC. I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with the ADC itself. It almost seems like the device is missing a stage or component that's in place for every other recorder and interface. I haven't been able to find another example of...
Top Bottom