Search results

1. The Capstan

Akitika GT-108 Stereo Amplifier Kit Review

I remember this design with decoupling series capacitor back in early '70 the 20th century, in fact my first power amp I built had similar design (well, with glorious 2N3055 as finalstage) so a bit too much old school for my taste, and results shows the consequence.
  2. The Capstan

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

Thanks VintageFlanker for this extensive review. I still think the Topping D10s is a solid choice if you need both Spdif/coax bridging and analogue out in a bit more solid enclosure. Also, Topping as a brand shows a more consistent quality throughout its product line, starting from its cheaper...
  3. The Capstan

Behringer DCX2496 EQ Review

yes and no, both the above mods are intended to address limitation on the analogue I/O boards with new opamp circuitry and voltage regulators. My idea was to replace the digital audio path from its roots so to be able to use and external DAC.
  4. The Capstan

Maybe I was not clear: my assumption was to use the digital input (AES-EBU) available on one of the inputs, managed by the CS8420 receiver/sample rate converter, so with the target to achieve a full digital I/O in case you opt for the Toslink/AES-EBU additional board. IMHO feasible and still...
  5. The Capstan

for those interested, the DCX is one of the few items from Behringer having full schematics available online. here is the link: Download Also, do you think it is possible a modding of the unit by replacing the AK4393 with a more modern DAC via I2S? I see, just as example, this product that...
  6. The Capstan

As other partecipants in the discussion have said, it is a quite "old" product. It is incredible Behringer has been manufacturing this for over 15 years (same with the coeval DEQ2496 which is IMHO quite exceptional for cost/value). I wonder if Mr. Beheringer has lost his development team since...
  7. The Capstan

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

in a distant future our great-grandchildren will find this box in the dust and once powered-up will ask themselves "WTF these Chinese guys put such an ugly font combination in this piece of technology from 2022?" LOL
  8. The Capstan

Leema Acoustics Element DAC & Preamp Review

the OLED was just an example for a graphic display. The same could have been said for fluorescent displays that have been used for years in hifi gears but still working. Also, there are plenty of other options (e.g. LCD) that could have offered a much nicer UI and navigation. cheers, Ale.
  9. The Capstan

Kenwood L-08C Pre-amplifier Review (Vintage Audio, QuirkAudio restored)

ah ah, this is for short-wave reception ;-) Thanks John.
  10. The Capstan

Kenwood L-08C Pre-amplifier Review (Vintage Audio, QuirkAudio restored)

850KHz of bandwidth on all analogue sources! WOW. I think it is almost a record figure for hi-fi gear. You could use to boost your MW reception in case you need! Joke apart, indeed impressive!
  11. The Capstan

Leema Acoustics Element DAC & Preamp Review

I know has nothing to do with audio but more on industrial design. So, how Leema ended up in putting a 3€ display - same I use for my Arduino experiments - on a +2.000$ unit, in turn forcing the UI to be so basic as consequence of 16x2 text display? C’mon, we are in 2022 and we have plenty of...
  12. The Capstan

Loxjie A30 Amplifier Review

You are right. This point was already clarified in a previous post. My fault (an lack of memory!). I will edit my post accordingly. Ale..
  13. The Capstan

Hi Amirm, after the recent posts on the A30, I read again through your original test and I have spotted two things that maybe worth reviewing. Don't now if someone has noticed already, the A30 thread is now indeed massive! 1) the Infineon chip in the A30 is the MA12070 and not the MA12070P as...
  14. The Capstan

I see, thank you. It is a super-long thread that started in 2018. No surprise... https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/post-569289
  15. The Capstan

Thank you May, I was not honestly aware of this. Thank you for the clarification. All in all, also looking at performance of AUX in, best way to drive this amp seems to be the Toslink or Coax. I have no clue why the AUX in, according to Amirm findings on his tests, performs significantly worse...
  16. The Capstan

Sorry, but your statement is incorrect. Among class-d amps there are FDA (full digital amplifiers) and amplifiers with analog input. The Infineon chip used in the A30 belongs to this latter category.Please have a look to the datasheet here...
  17. The Capstan

it's a pretty much bass/treble control. Processing occurs in the analogue domain. as for question 1) yes, you need to use presets OR manual bass treble control. as for question 2) no, by looking at curves, behaviour is similar to "Baxandall" filter response you may find in some old stereo...
  18. The Capstan

320kbps has nothing to do with sampling rate. This is the bit rate of the compressed stream. The BT interface in the A30 converts at a fixed 48KHz *sample* rate. I am using my A30 connected via optical input (chain is MacMini with Daphile installed -> optical to Behringer DEQ2496 for room...
  19. The Capstan

SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp)

well… I have worked on some coding projects of my own and I have put a great deal of effort in UI and navigation ease. So including an option for better volume level display, even with some graphics to help for looking at long distance (e.g. a circle element a la “Volumio style”) should be...
Top Bottom