Search results

1. D

Geithain RL 901K vs Neumann KH420

FWIW, if you like one chances are you won't the other. They don't sound all that similar in spite of both measuring excellently.
  2. D

Anything wrong with linear phase through the bass roll off?

Pre-ringing is most audible in low frequencies. That's why most companies don't bother with correcting for GD down there - which isn't particularly audible unless pathological.
  3. D

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

Effectively, yes - you're hearing the pre-ring from a linear phase HPF. And yeah, headphones make it more obvious but any decent speaker should demonstrate it clearly enough.
  4. D

Need Monitor Advice for a Challenging Small Room

I'll be honest - this is about as close to as bad of placement as you could get. I think you may be better off turning the desk 90 degrees so it's up against the wall where the door is - that way at least you're going to not have the worst interference from every possible direction...
  5. D

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

I agree, buy RME and be done with it. Either that or Lynx, both of whom have a stellar rep for maintaining their products.
  6. D

Need Monitor Advice for a Challenging Small Room

I think at $1000/pr I'd just get Kali IN-5s and call it a day. Spend the rest on other stuff.
  7. D

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Frankly, you wouldn't notice much with starbucks anyway - but yeah, that's what SSP MPs do - they bring forward acidic notes.
  8. D

No - the Niche Duo comes with Mazzer 151Cs, which are absolutely espresso-first burrs. A lot of light roast enthusiasts don't like them as they're very "traditional" tasting. In fact 83mm SSPs are crazy money - I think closer to $400.
  9. D

Your work grinder is a Lagom P64. That's a $1700 grinder. The burrs can do espresso, they're SSP MPs. It might not be the espresso you want, but they'll do it.
  10. D

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

Their -3dB point on the low end (free field) is about 42hz, if you back them up to a wall - which you should - you'll probably get down into the upper 30s in room. If you need more low end you'll need something bigger. But to be honest, most people aren't listening on anything that can...
  11. D

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

They're not fun sounding, at all, but they are reliably "correct". Not tons of headroom but probably plenty for nearfield. I'd skip these. Never heard any Dyns I've been impressed by, and the measurements are nothing amazing either. No. Not good. Super bright, but also muddled and blurry. A...
  12. D

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

Okay, so TLDR: it's because correcting phase response to linear for the bass doesn't make sense. The linear phase is not worth the bodies that it buries. The reason it works for crossovers and not for the low end roll off is because a HPF and LPF will "correct" for one another's phase response...
  13. D

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Honestly, I think I'd like these. I find Harman bass to be rather overblown in over ear headphones and a bit forward.
  14. D

Speaker "Speed"

It's the port tuning, really. Ports are resonators.
  15. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

They design them in-house, they don't make them.
  16. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Yes - exactly this. In this industry, the more you can do in-house the better. This is somewhere a company like Neumann falls behind - they don't make any drivers themselves, so the service lives post-discontinuation can be quite limited as they're at the mercy of the driver manufacturer they...
  17. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Any decent DAC can drive them properly. Yeah, it's the older 20ASL Pro. They use a standard MDF box now. Don't think there was much if any sonic change, but the MDF is certainly cheaper - and they make most of their cabinets in house now, which for obvious reasons they can't do with cast aluminum.
  18. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

They did change to a more typical cabinet, yes. I can't say I noticed that compression when I demoed, but I also don't get that loud.
  19. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

I mean, not really. My KH420s beat out SCM50s handily... and I like the SCM50s.
  20. D

ATC speakers / Monitors

Very few. What's confusing is that the dual suspension in theory would let them drop the crossover point substantially (which IMO would be preferable on the 3 way, LR4 at 3k instead of 3.5k would improve the response around there a lot).
Top Bottom