Search results

1. C

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Brands can have products built in large quantities knowing they won’t be sitting on shelves for a long time. The greater the quantity built, the cheaper it becomes. Companies will produce large runs of products for these holidays. This also gets consumers into their ecosystem and starts the...
  2. C

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

I believe this sells new at Costco for like $40 more (with the Costco warranty and all behind it). https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.1-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html
  3. C

Has anyone AB the Topping PRE90 , Gustard P26 or the Schiit Freya+

I’ve been happy with my Pre90, but I again want to point out that the range on the remote sucks. If that’s important, consider one of the others.
  4. C

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Anyone with 2006 serial numbers had this issue? I use this L30 amplifier and like it a great deal, but my young son also uses it and I’m not really much for taking a chance there. Also, is there any chance this affects other Topping products?
  5. C

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Sadly, I don’t have a balanced source at the moment and don’t have the extender. There is only one set of unbalanced RCA in on the unit itself.
  6. C

I’ve had my Pre90 since last week and I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t really done direct comparisons, but I ‘think’ it’s made an improvement in my system that was previously the E30 into a Purifi based power amplifier. My normal listening levels were -30 to -20 and I think that’s a part of why...
  7. C

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

I’m very interested in hearing these, but I’m in Michigan (USA). I have GR research NX Studios, Gedlee Abbeys and Philharmonic Audio Mini Monitors (the recent ones he just took off the site) I could compare with. I’m debating between something like this and the new Philharmonic towers for my...
  8. C

Interesting concept, but I don’t use Foobar. I also don’t believe that AB tests in audio are reliable for a variety of reasons I would rather not get into in this particular thread (other than to tell extremely obvious differences). I do support the concept of blind tests, of course, where...
  9. C

I own and have owned many tube products, including a Mccalister power amplifier using television tubes to get 75 WPC. Pre amplifiers tend to add just the right amount of distortion to give you the beautiful tube presentation without notes in music that feel rounded off.
  10. C

A preamplifier is meant to provide a proper load to the power amplifier and control the volume. Many are also hubs with tons of inputs, but that’s never meant it has to be that. For most folks, the DAC would be the HUB these days. External DACs are extremely common now, that hasn’t always been...
  11. C

I’m sure a small group would, but as the cost goes up, the audience shrinks. Not everyone needs a ton of inputs or wants to use the Topping DAC. This preamp is cheaper than an all-in-one and allows me to upgrade my DAC as I please. I truly wonder how long someone buying a D70 (I think that’s...
  12. C

You’d only be saving some build costs, but they’d have to manufacture a brand new enclosure which also adds to the cost (instead of using one already available). There’s no real advantage to making this product except form factor (which isn’t a plus for everyone because it’s just height vs width).
  13. C

A lot of people are missing the point that this is a reference level product. Asking them to worsen their performance so that it’s more flexible with poorly designed products isn’t fair. Use this preamp with a modern high end amplifier and DAC for state of the art sound. That’s it’s use case and...
  14. C

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

I have owned many GR and Danny-designed speakers. I don’t know that his tweaks make a difference or not, but I know his speakers sound tremendous. I’ve had AV123 speakers he designed that had basic crossovers and also GR specific designs with the best of the best. I currently am listening to his...
  15. C

Topping E30 DAC Review

I’m not using a preamp in the chain, so I’m guessing doing so would attenuate the level of that noise. It’s not a huge concern, but that and the polarity being wrong does lessen my enjoyment of the new purchase.
  16. C

Topping E30 DAC Review

Same here. I’ve only used it with my Polk LSIM 703 speakers and Purifi power amp, but the noise is quite audible both on start up and when shutting off the DAC.
  17. C

Topping E30 DAC Review

Hi, please don’t challenge someone to a test that nobody can pass. The human brain can only recall sound accurately for something like 20-30 seconds. Just because we can remember sound for that period does not mean one can accurately identify bursts going back and forth - which would have to...
  18. C

Topping E30 DAC Review

The screen and remote are nice features, but any differences would be so minute that it’s probably not worth upgrading for an improvement in sound quality. I bought one to replace a Schiit Modi/Saga in one of my setups. I’m moreso curious how it will sound as a preamp, but will be comparing it...
  19. C

Topping E30 DAC Review

schiit claimed that the standard iPhone charger was the best of the inexpensive 5V/1A chargers they tried when testing their Modi 3. It’s quite possibly the ideal charger for this since most of us have one somewhere. That’s what I’ll be using with my E30 though I am tempted to get a linear one...
  20. C

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

I’m curious what he will say. His response times are amazing, I have to give him that. I hope it’s not in bad taste to post his responses, I don’t feel like they necessarily need to be private. I also linked to him our discussion in case he wanted to chime in himself. Here’s what I was last...
Top Bottom