Search results

1. metaleggman

Are all passive speakers officially "retro"?

My cohort and I are just now leaving our twenties, and frankly speaking, I've only ever heard of people buying active speakers simply for the convenience. Most of our parents had some sort of hi-fi (whether in working order and used or not), and we've witnessed the evolution of HTIB kits grow...
  2. metaleggman

Drop's BMR1 desktop speakers: opinions?

So, I got mine a few weeks back, so I thought I'd provide some feedback. I also just purchased a Subwoofer to go with them, but more on that later. As they are, they work well for what they are, as in fairly thin speakers that can fit snugly on a desk. My desktop currently doesn't have space...
  3. metaleggman

Kiwi Ears Quintet

I don't personally have the reds, just the blues, but I'd say even if they're similar on the chart, compared to the blues, the Quintet so far seems to have more detail. I just picked them up, and I'll still be playing around with them, so I could change my mind. Part of this could be the bone...
  4. metaleggman

Drop's BMR1 desktop speakers: opinions?

Why would you ever look at them from that perspective? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely confused. As a consumer, and since we're all on this board, even if something like the Truthear Zero Reds are great, measurement wise, you wouldn't seriously compare them to something like the...
  5. metaleggman

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

@amirm and others, how does this compare to ES100 and Qubelix 5K balanced output; not sure the SINAD measurements are comparable between reviews. I'm also curious how to best interpret the clipping graphs; is higher better, in the sense that you're getting more power before clipping? I have an...
  6. metaleggman

Is power the only way to compare amplifiers in terms of how loud they can make headphones?

Not necessarily. I was more just saying that the Flux Labs amp had pretty big high gain settings compared to the schiit ones, so with the same pre-amp input, and all amps on highest gain, it makes sense it would be louder. But I'm glad I asked about the balanced, because that might be why it...
  7. metaleggman

Is power the only way to compare amplifiers in terms of how loud they can make headphones?

The only thing I can ascertain from the specs is that it appears as though Flux Lab amps have much higher gain settings than the two Schiits; all of their amps appear to have over 10db of gain on their minimum level, and up to 20+ on the highest levels, meaning highest gain is what, audibly 4...
  8. metaleggman

How to avoid crackling via USB (static noise at mainboard-plug? USB-cable issue?)

I've had my iFi Zen DAC (well, could also be my thx amp as well, or eve just the analog cables involved or my cans themselves) do that every once in a blue moon, but in my case I've always assumed it was because my phone was nearby and receiving a call or text message (not sure anyone remembers...
  9. metaleggman

Planning to Build This Attenuation Adapter

Would those slight changes be truly noticeable (i.e. the difference between objectively changing the noise vs one might notice some differences based on their hearing or subjective feelings about the sound)? If so, out of curiosity, would a different attenuation adapter perform better for these...
  10. metaleggman

In case anyone wants to do some real calculations (no pressure!) here's my amp specs: and SE535 specs:
  11. metaleggman

Something like this (3.3) (3.3) and this (15)? I already bought the resistors other resistors, but it's not much to get some more, especially if they help with that. I noticed some definite channel balance issues at bottom pot with the SE535 (one channel on vs other off) when I was trying it...
  12. metaleggman

Awesome!! Especially since I was wondering if the half watt resistors would work (he only mentioned the wattage of the resistors in the single ended design, but I assumed he didn't mention it because it'd be about the same).
  13. metaleggman

I'm an electronics and soldering novice, and one of my first projects will be making a balanced attenuation adapter based off of this design. Just wanted to throw this past some people to make sure it looks right. I'm building it so I can use my Shure SE535s with my Drop THX AAA 789 Amp...
  14. metaleggman

Mike Moffat and Amir

Good to hear the relationship improved, and I appreciate the response :)
  15. metaleggman

Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story

Is this the same doc? The original uploader closed their account, and I randomly stumbled on this post.
  16. metaleggman

Mike Moffat and Amir

Recently caught up on some old drama while researching multi-bit DACs and I'm curious if Moffat and Amir ever did meet up at an audio show (surely not in 2020 :facepalm:). They seem like two people who love what they do, and I would love to be a fly on the wall if they were to ever meet, so I'm...
  17. metaleggman

Pairing Sensitive IEMs to a Powerful DAC/Amp

Awesome! That's a lot of helpful information. I just tried the SE output, and for now, it works well. I love that the amp has the option of both. Still might make the attenuation adapter just for fun though; I really need to get into soldering and it seems like a fairly simple project, and...
  18. metaleggman

Heh, funny enough, I forgot to even try this. Or maybe my brain skipped it out of laziness; I recently just hooked up my monitor's headphone out to the SE input on for when I watch movies on my Fire Stick. I originally had the DAC connected to the amp both balanced and single ended. I'll have...
  19. metaleggman

Hi, My current setup for my PC is an iFi Zen DAC (using iFi's power wart) connected via a Pentaconn to XLR cable to the Drop THX AAA 789 amp; the Zen DAC is set to fixed output. I was using the Drop XLR to 2.5mm balanced adapter at first, but I just got my Hart Audio cable set in, so I'm still...
Top Bottom