Search results

1. E

Speakers that are unforgiving of poor-quality recordings - is that a thing?

Before digital I bought some bookshelf speakers that sounded great in the showroom. Sadly, at home they emphasized surface sounds from the older LPs, along with some high frequency grit from badly recorded albums. The same speakers were models of clarity with clean, well recorded LPs. I...
  2. E

Recommendations for Mid-20th Century and later classical composers

All with significant output after 1950. Classical: Dmitry Shostakovich Darius Milhaud Leonard Bernstein John Adams Meredith Monk Osvaldo Golijov Witold Lutoslawski Movie Music: John Williams (duh!) Nino Rota James Horner Randy Newman
  3. E

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

Yes! My rule is that streaming (in my case Qobuz) is great for exploring, but I buy anything I really love. There's no guarantee that a streaming album or a streaming service will remain available. My current listening is about 50/50. I use Roon to access Qobuz and all my CDs and SACDs...
  4. E

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Their website says they're in Hong Kong.
  5. E

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

The price is good, but not the very best. Many Revel "dealers" are custom installers with limited demo facilities and inventory. I called one a few months ago to inquire, and he offered me 20% off without my having to haggle or push, explaining that he didn't have to work for the sale except to...
  6. E

PlayClassics TRT v2.1j master file giveaway for ASR members

Mario, I'm sorry I missed the earlier offer. I look forward to checking out your recordings. I'd like to hear Modern Times and Cabrera Plays Debussy. Thanks, SK
  7. E

Elac BS U5 Slim 3-way Coaxial Speaker Review

I am surprised that the Elacs performed poorly- objectively in amirm's tests and subjectively according to many. I heard the UB5 Slims at a group demo with Andrew Jones. I thought they sounded great (for the price) and so did everyone I spoke with. But Jones picked nearly all the music and...
  8. E

Budget speakers < $500?

I heard the Elac UB5's several years ago and loved them. On sale now direct from Elac for about $400/pr. The "slim" models look much better and sometimes go on sale from Amazon for around $500. There's now a UB51, but I've seen nothing about any differences. Elac has too many models in the...
Top Bottom