Search results

1. F

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I post this here for your consideration (the opening post for a recent thread on pink fish media... a long but entertaining read): Many years ago I had a full stack of olive Naim boxes: CDS2/XPS/NAC52/Super/2xNAP135. I found myself getting irritated by the hassle of misplaced CDs, so I added a...
  2. F

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Hound Dog Taylor (aka Theodore Roosevelt "Hound Dog" Taylor)
  3. F

A surprise on Qobuz...

I use Qobuz and have encountered glitches in tracks. I have then checked the same tracks in Tidal and Deezer and the same glitch is there so in all cases (numbering > 30) the issue is with the source file provided and not the streaming service and is an issue at all available resolutions. Peter
  4. F

Zidoo/Eversolo DAC-Z6 - Will it get an update for PEQ like the DMP's did?

As the title asks, is PEQ in the works for the Z6 or Z8 DACs Peter
  5. F

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

So most DAC's have an internal fixed rate in the 48x class (ie multiples of 48k) and will resample (if needed... say 44.1k -> 96k base rate) then upsample as needed to work at there max rate (the resampled 96k base -> 768k). If you start with 44.1k then you cant avoid a resample (either...
  6. F

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

My understanding from minds greater than mine is you need to upsample to the native max rate of your DAC This avoids double dipping. So if your DAC resamples everything to 768, then thats what you upsample to in your PC (and leave your files as they are in cause you change DACs) Peter
  7. F

Extreme Snake Oil

Not sure if this is snake oil yet... Will tell you once I get them installed... but first I need to strengthen my flooring. At only $US 456 per kilo they are a bargain. I am told the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is also very high so thats a plus.
  8. F

Does listing equipment help anything?

I find it fun to quickly parse the threads each day and look for the odd one or two that provide the promise for amusement (a cable thread, a thread about networking etc). Whats the old sayings "know thy enemy" and "Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer" Peter
  9. F

On a side note, as someone who checks out SHF every day, anecdotally a significant percentage of equipment posts (60% at least) are related to some aspect of vinyl playback. Similarly in the long running "post a photo of your listening room" thread, almost every system has a vinyl source, in...
  10. F

Surely the more relevant thing to list is a full range hear test conducted within the last year?... given the typical age of vinyl spinners and audiophiles in general ((i.e. complaining about say sibilance or rolled off top end when you cant hear above 10k). And what about the room... the most...
  11. F

Stack Audio SmoothLAN network filter

Finally lets review ethernet cabling... not my chart and not much to explain except to note that cat 7 and 8 are NOT used for connecting the 1000's of 1U servers in a datacenter but are instead, due to their bandwidth capabilites, used at the "core" between say high speed network devices (or...
  12. F

lets talk about ethernet noise... the audio boogie man... by referencing ethernet in the real world... a data center. Below we see a single row in a datacenter made up off individual racks...each 19" wide and typically 8ft high. Servers/and or ethernet devices (switches etc) of different...
  13. F

I mentioned a "packetized" protocol which you might not understand. Many transmission standards (say SP/DIF for connecting audio components) are serial in nature which does make them susceptible to timing errors. The design of the internet was originally spec'ed in the late 60's by DARPA (a...
  14. F

For those of us in the IT industry that have some knowledge of ethernet and tcp/ip it just pisses us off that audio companies prey on the fears of audiophiles and sell them expensive products they dont need. Sorry if I came over too aggressive. Peter
  15. F

You are telling me something. You bolded your post ("This product is not designed for cat8 cable")... and this emphasis told me: (1) I could infer with a high degree of probability that you use cat 8 (2) that you were then denigrating the design of the filter I linked because of this. If you...
  16. F

cat 7/8 are designed for high thru put runs in datacenters ...not the piddly arsed data streams we need for home audio. Cat 5e/cat 6 will support 112MB (thats mega bytes) per second...your qobuz/deezer/tidal stream will come in at < 1MB per second... local streaming < 3MB per second and even if...
  17. F

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

indeed. While Fosi have their business plan, a full width package with a decent look and the option of say 2 - 7 boards (if 7 would fit) with IEC plug and increasingly larger internal power supplies as needed for increase in channels would be a killer offering in my opinion. Price it as a...
  18. F

If anyone must invest in something cause the boogie man of ethernet noise keeps them up at night then get this: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2 Made by a serious company, for a real world issue for ham radio enthusiasts. $70 and done. Peter
  19. F

Is there any good, free remote controllable streaming software that runs on x86....

ok if you change any images, tags etc you need to do a rescan for it to stick the new image/tag in the database.
  20. F

Is there any good, free remote controllable streaming software that runs on x86....

regarding artist photo's... dredging stuff of the web will not get you a good experience. Just like cover art (where 90% of dredged ones are crap), you need to curate these manually. I have lots of older artists whose only photos are black and white so I standardized on B&W for all artist...
Top Bottom