Search results

1. DanGuitarMan

Dynaudio LYD 5 Studio Monitor Review

I like them a lot. They fit my room well size/looks wise. My room is small and has a lot of aberrations in the bass range. They dwarf any problems that any speaker might introduce. I use parametric eq from 350 and below to correct those room problems, and it works very well. I get a lot of...
  2. DanGuitarMan

The speaker was returned to me and no other measurements were performed.
  3. DanGuitarMan

Please start a new thread for this. Off the dang rails.
  4. DanGuitarMan

The hiss level changes with the sensitivity switch. I use it in the -6 setting because I'm feeding it a strong signal with the MOTU 624. Put it this way: my refrigerator humming 15 feet away is louder than the tweeter hiss at 1 foot away. If you were in a completely isolated control room, you...
  5. DanGuitarMan

@Maiky76 What's difference between your Listening Window EQ and General EQ? I see what LW is optimizing, but what about general?
  6. DanGuitarMan

Yes. That made a difference I could hear and measure.
  7. DanGuitarMan

That's been my experience. They're a little finicky vertically if I really start to bob my head around.
  8. DanGuitarMan

The walls behind them are wood over drywall over brick. The sidewalls are 27" away. I tried putting 7" of denim insulation behind them and that made zero measurable difference either. I stress measurable, because I have a vivid imagination like all of us here. I desperately wanted to hear a...
  9. DanGuitarMan

Mine are 7" (18cm) from the back wall and I couldn't measure any difference between "Wall" and "Free" setting.
  10. DanGuitarMan

Thank you for the data/review, @amirm . You have my permission to hang on to it to continue tests if you like :) Fiddle with those switches back there. So, I want to give a few insights in to how they are working for me in my space: I set the bass extension switch to -10. It makes a...
  11. DanGuitarMan

Dynaudio LYD 5 for testing

Absolutely. I needed something that would satisfy the looks and size requirements of my wife, so a compromise was made. Edit: There are a few candidates what would work. Neumann KH80, small Genelecs, etc. Those measure exceedingly well, so that's why I'm interested in the LYDs measurements.
  12. DanGuitarMan

Well I have them in a mixed-use kind of set up. The closest I can sit is about 1.5m for more critical applications. They are also my general music/movie speakers, so far field can be 3m.
  13. DanGuitarMan

Yeah, it would be good to see the Core series measured. If you decide to make the drive to Amir's and get the LYD 5 measured, I'll chip in for gas. I'm so interested because the LYD 5 has a high crossover frequency of 5.2k. With the 5" woofer, it should start beaming around 2.7k. I also wonder...
  14. DanGuitarMan

Neumann KH 80 DSP vs Dynaudio LYD 5 vs Genelec 8020D - best objective performance?

The Dynaudio LYD has a tilt function, which lets you tilt the entire freq spectrum +/- 3dB. It came in quite handy in my room.
  15. DanGuitarMan

Normal XLR cables vs Star-Quad XLR cables

I think there's a greater return on your investment if you know how to solder and put together a cable. One can build a cable with Canare StarQuad and Neutrik connectors for less money than an off the shelf standard XLR cable. Of course this varies with someone's experience and hands on DIY skills.
  16. DanGuitarMan

School me on phase.

I'll have to mess with moving them. Right now they are flanking the fireplace and the mantle is hanging above them. They'd probably do better out from underneath that, but it's not my call to decide.
  17. DanGuitarMan

School me on phase.

Thank you for that. I still don't know how to interpret this though. The phase differences do create low frequency suck outs in my listening position.
  18. DanGuitarMan

School me on phase.

How do I interpret these phase issues? Left (6 cycle FDW): Right (6 cycle FDW): I'm limited in where I can place the speakers. I have a miniDSP DDRC-24 that I can use to implement some filters, but I have no idea how to start or even what's possible. I know my way around frequency...
  19. DanGuitarMan

Unique room EQ for loudspeaker comparisons

Amir knows that a mode exists in his room, and he has a single PEQ filter to control it. He can turn it on and off at will to see if the hypothetical speaker in question benefits or not. Now, if he drastically moved speaker/listening position or speaker type, I'm sure he'd remeasure and take...
Top Bottom