Search results

1. Igor Kirkwood

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

You are absolutely right dualazmak. It is the quality and size of the listening room which, even more than the equipment or the equalizations, determines the realism of the final rendering of a High Fidelity system. In Japan the price per m2 of listening room is unfortunately very expensive...
  2. Igor Kirkwood

The BEST rooms - looking for real world measurements

= "Maybe useful for someone" Totally Bow Wazoo :) There are in fact 2 ways to reproduce 16 Hz on a High Fidelity system. -1/ Reproduce it below the normal bass level, at zero dB: For example at -15 bB or -5 dB..................... but better: -2/ Either reproduce it faithfully at zero...
  3. Igor Kirkwood

The BEST rooms - looking for real world measurements

Finally ! on ASR the consideration of the response curve of an installation, measured at the listening position of the listener!:) Wonderful response curve, measured at this listening position, obtained by Bob Katz on the magazine Stéréophile. But this curve falls strongly and voluntarily...
  4. Igor Kirkwood

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Not going to say that the Yamaha NS 1000s are a bad "stereo system".;) But gene sti, like most ASR leaders, starting with Amir............... forget a little that to listen to a "stereo system" you also have to consider a good listening room, unless you go exclusively to listen in the...
  5. Igor Kirkwood

Bravo dualmark for the sophistication of your installation based on Yamaha NS 1000 speakers.:):) And above all you have not forgotten the importance of the target curve in treble. Indeed this one as well as the listening room and its acoustic treatment is the basis of a good listening result...
  6. Igor Kirkwood

Best effort room and audio system build

Thank you for your photo, it's much clearer now. The position of your ear relative to the seat is correct. That said, I prefer to have the top of the seat at shoulder level. Am surprised by your RT 60 of 0.47, indeed the standards recommend an RT 60 of 0.2 for the 5.1. For stereo, there are no...
  7. Igor Kirkwood

Your reasoning is good Bugal. In order to support this one, the photo of a seat is missing... With a head on it. Congratulations on the overall design of your installation. Do you have a measurement of the RT 60 (or approaching) of your premises ?
  8. Igor Kirkwood

Sorry Bugal, but personally I don't like High Fidelity or Home Cinema listening chairs, when they are too high. It's certainly very good for taking a nap, but then the reflections so close to the ear have a definite negative impact on the perceived sound quality. In particular, listening in...
  9. Igor Kirkwood

Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

To find my best organ recording, you have to combine three necessary conditions: -1/The composer and the excerpt considered. -2/A high quality organ and perfect acoustics -3/An exceptional organist and a very high level interpretation. These three conditions seem to me to be met for -1/ the...
  10. Igor Kirkwood

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

Of course Waxx a "controle room in a truck" can help in monitoring recordings. In particular, the artistic director will undoubtedly be more comfortable in a truck than with a helmet on his head. But alas, this does not replace a real quality listening room. Neumann loudspeakers KH310 without...
  11. Igor Kirkwood

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

Am in the same situation as this Holland recording engineer ... Indeed, insofar as for example I record an organ, bringing my own speakers to control the sound recording is in my opinion absolute nonsense: The sacristy serving as a "cabin" sounding like a saucepan whatever the quality of the...
  12. Igor Kirkwood

Sound engineer's monitoring and HiFi + HT system with active Yamaha NS-1000x, multi-subs and FIR QSys processor in a particular and treated room

In order, MickeyBoy, to illustrate your requests, go through two major works of Jean-Sébastien Bach, the Art of the Fugue and the Passacaille to try to answer you. Bach's Art of Fugue was recorded on André Isoir's favorite organ: The Grenzing of Saint Cyprien en Périgord. During the first...
  13. Igor Kirkwood

Stereo Sub Vs Dual Mono

Thank you Sokel for your example of David Bowie's wonderful recording Moonage Daydream. If we instantly switch the setting of this piece of David Bowie to 4 MONO SUBS or 2 x 2 STEREO SUBS, the difference is not obvious, especially since the 4 subs are cut in linear phase FIR with a slope of 80...
  14. Igor Kirkwood

Stereo Sub Vs Dual Mono

The question of mono bass vs. stereo bass is one of the most interesting questions posed by High Fidelity reproduction. Am Igor Kirkwood sound engineer and of course I know that the result of the different types of sound recording strongly impacts the reproduction of music. To illustrate my...
  15. Igor Kirkwood

Equalizing loudspeakers based on anechoic measurements (community project)

It is perfectly possible to correct in linear phase FIR, with a "pre echo" almost zero (- 70 dB) as indicated by this response curve by Jean-Luc Ohl, French Engineer Measurer
  16. Igor Kirkwood

Of course dualasmak the time alignment of the loudspeakers also has a great influence on the sound quality. Jean-Luc Ohl Measurement Engineer could tell us more. With regard to the excellent response curve obtained by S with a very well acoustically treated listening room but without...
  17. Igor Kirkwood

You're right dualazmak , that's why I chose the Be tweeter, that of FOCAL in forged Beryllium. The concave shape of this one + its 20,000 Gauss magnet probably explain its "average" performance of 94 dB per octave. But beyond the careful choice of loudspeakers for true High Fidelity; we must...
  18. Igor Kirkwood

For the distortion of the Yamaha 3.5 inch Beryllium midrange, I am particularly interested in the distortion performance between 390 Hz and 1800 Hz which are the cutoff frequencies of my installation. Which would give, approximately, in distortion (H2 & H3) , with an output level of 90 dB...
  19. Igor Kirkwood

Great job dualazmak ! ! ! :):) All Yamaha measurements with Beryllium midrange on the same page! For Keith_W, I would have bought 2 GF1s in order to extract the ultimate Beryllium loudspeaker from Yamaha. Alas not the average! And cutting up a pair of GF1s in this way would seem iconoclastic...
  20. Igor Kirkwood

For almost 50 years Yamaha has continuously improved its famous 3.5 inch Beryllium midrange. Here is attached the performance of this medium in 1982 with the Yamaha NS 2000. You will notice that the performance of this medium is between that of the medium of the NS 1000 and that of the NS 1000x...
Top Bottom