Search results

1. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Phoenixdogfan you can also buy a SYSLY IDC 10 2x5 pins male header breakout board terminal block connector for $13.99 at Amazon to make connections from the IDC connector. JimM
  2. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Aluminum would be fine, you could paint it you want color, look online for painting aluminum. There are no safety issues using bare aluminum vs anodize or painted. aluminum other than bare aluminum is more conductive. JimM
  3. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Your welcome, glad you got it working very clean and tidy layout enjoy.
  4. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I surrender, once again thanks for all the contributors to the build it is a good amp. By JimM
  5. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Let's see the name of this forum is DIY Purifi Build is it not ok. Thanks to JimB, Massimo, londonLad, and others here is my build. Jan 7,2020 ordered parts post#183 - Jan 14 received chassis - Jan 18 finished chassis with hardware mounted and started checkout post #320 - Jan 26 Working 12...
  6. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I don't even know what you mean by that remark, Technical expert of what? Why don't you or any one else who has a problem with this invest your own time and equipment for a test you feel is adequate for meaningful results. I have several times explained my goals and test procedure within the...
  7. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

The Mark Levison does have stepped volume control with read out, the Benchmark does not. As I have stated I am not asking any of you to agree or disagree with our findings as it will be our opinion only. After spending 30 minuets with six sets of different system components the only thing you...
  8. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Sorry can't do that, that is not the way we would normally listen to the music. JimM
  9. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

The so called level match will be done this way, and for the following reasons. First the CD will have approx one hour of recorded music on it, of which we will actually listen to around 30 minuets with any request of another song on the CD which will then be included in the list. The different...
  10. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thank you March for your input. JimM
  11. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thank you March for your comments. JimM
  12. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

By the way my wife and I are going to do a amplifier shoot out with what we have in house, which is the following: 1. Mark Levison 585 integrated. 2. Benchmark DAC2 HGC as preamp and our EVAL1 Purifi build. 3. Benchmark DAC2 HGC as preamp and our Bryston 3B. Speaker are Magnepan 1.7 and Jeff...
  13. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Gentlemen: Please can we get back to comments on the subject of the forum rather than arguments about one’s personal preferences, my preference may not be the same as yours. I have been involved with audio for more than 60 years and have designed and used both linear and digital equipment for...
  14. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes inrush current can be harmful to a lot of the components, but the use of thermistors as fairly cheap solution can mitigate most of those problems, I haven't noticed the Hypex SMPS power supply exhibiting a turn on problem, like some of my class AB amps even with a properly designed power...
  15. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Warm up on class D does not seem to be as long as a class AB or Class A but I still notice a difference after about 15 to 30 minuets, but as I said in a previous post, I suspect it is the opamps or preamp rather than the class D amps. But on class AB or class A dependent on how the much bias...
  16. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

The above comments should have included, YOU MUST have proper fuses in AC line connection in case of a fault condition within the amp JimM.
  17. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Turning the amp on/off with main switch is fine, there should be no pop on or off. Also in my opinion leaving it on all the time is also acceptable except when you will be gone for extended period of time. In the past and even now I have a phono peramp that is left on all the time, keeping...
  18. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

No, but these speakers are a 3 way dynamic with around 86db sensitivity. And the current configuration is the maximum gain from the DAC and no buffer from the EVAL1. With the EVAL1 buffer in and -10db from the DAC the relative over all gain is about the same level as the above configuration...
  19. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I connected /fatal J3-3 to the J4 IDC breakout SMPS DC Error pin-10, seems to work ok. I also played around with buffer, no buffer in EVAL1 and DAC gain, went back to no buffer and 0 db on dac gain, will just have to watch volume level when switching sources. I could tell a difference when the...
  20. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Great, thanks I will open up my case and connect the signals up, also I am going to enable the buffer on EVAL1 and lower the gain on the Benchmark DAC, for two reasons, one to see if I can tell any difference in sound quality, and two the gain is a little to high with the DAC at 0 db rather...
Top Bottom