Search results

1. X

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

Originally the audio was indeed analogue only, but PCM (roughly the same as CD) digital audio was added. Later, the analogue tracks would be used for AC-3 and DTS--before DVD, that was the only consumer option for these. (Ignoring specifics about demodulation, PAL vs. NTSC discs, etc.) The...
  2. X

State of movie theaters: mini rant.

I saw "Parasite" for the first time today--it didn't get a theatrical release in the UK until 7th February. Alas, it was only available in secondary screens, so no photos of monumental auditoria or top-of-the-line laser projection this time! :-( Great stuff but I wasn't happy with the ending...
  3. X

According to LF Examiner–List of IMAX Theaters, the screen is almost 85ft. wide, full height 1.43:1, and the venue is equipped with an IMAX with Laser GT dual projection system. "2020 Annual Passes now on sale for only [Can]$52.38... Feature length films for [Can]$6.50 (2D) or [Can]$7.50 (3D)."...
  4. X

Measurable aspects of sound perception

On the subject of "measurements"... to quote Douglas Self: (My emphasis.) 'Following the growth of subjectivism through the pages of one of the leading Subjectivist magazines (HiFi News), the first intimation of things to come was the commencement of Paul Messenger's column "Subjective Sounds"...
  5. X

Don't worry, I understood your post (and my German vocabulary is limited to "sehr gut!") :)
  6. X

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Proving-Non-Existence Back on Earth... we can measure far more than we can hear but the "problem" isn't acquisition. Of course, those who promulgate a non-scientific approach to audio tend to be those whose "suggestions" are either patently...
  7. X

Hmm, never heard of that? Cineworld do offer an "Unlimited" card which allows you to watch, er, an "Unlimited" number of screenings. The premium version of the card that includes the flagship Leicester Square site costs £‭250.80/year. However, an additional "Uplift" charge applies for IMAX...
  8. X

Went to the "IMAX Film Festival" at London's Cineworld Leicester Square yesterday (IMAX with Laser GT dual projection/12 channel audio.) FOUR films in one day... For our friends in Europe, that's ~€3.50 per screening, and our friends the US, that's ~$4 per screening. (The auditorium was well...
  9. X

Alternative method for measuring distortion

Could you elaborate, please? :-)
  10. X

Cool stuff, but the dither itself is added randomness ("information") for the entropy/lossless coding?
  11. X

You're welcome. :) It's obviously one of my favourite subjects, too... Awesome. Always wanted motorised 4-way masking for my home cinema. Can be frightfully expensive, though! Yes, definitely going out adds up to an overall "event" and more of an indelible (or "episodic") memory than simply...
  12. X

What was this accelerometer used to measure? :-)
  13. X

Maths "proves" that dither linearises the quantiser. It doesn't matter where dither "comes from," as long as it has the required characteristics. How is "self-dither" not an indication that dither is universally needed to linearise the quantiser? It is required in many other applications...
  14. X

I previously uploaded some 4-bit truncated files which Serge downloaded...
  15. X

Why would this situation exist, of not knowing the application, and even if it did, then of what relevance would it be to audio? Considering mixing/effects as part of the "channel," they are not "abstracted away." 32-bit float is not strictly sufficient for mixing given 24-bit fixed point...
  16. X

Good grief. I know the Chinese are known for taking engineering, ahem, "short cuts" but I really wouldn't expect such blatantly sloppy standards there when building major infrastructure. There have been a few incidents on their high speed rail system. IIRC in one case the train derailed on a...
  17. X

Hmm. How fast do they drive on highways in China?
  18. X

If you think that's bad then check this... (Warning: Not everyone might consider this incident in the slightest bit humourous…) (N.B. All happens within the first 10 seconds of the video.) Watch for the mini taxi that barely squeezes through and continues on nonchalantly...!
Top Bottom