Search results

1. adc

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Just found this thread; missed it before. Rider here too, in any weather (you may have heard that it rains a lot in the US NW), though these days I refuse to go without ABS, traction control, and an airbag vest along with all the other usual gear. To bring this sort of back to on-topic: there's...
  2. adc

HDTracks issues

Again, there are valid metadata, archival, and functional benefits to normalizing a collection to FLAC regardless of the original format. It is true that this has no sonic benefit, but that doesn't mean there is no benefit. [ edit: I might be conflating two issues here, which are converting...
  3. adc

HDTracks issues

Careful speaking in absolutes. I do this all the time, for good reason: my collection is mostly FLAC, but I do have some mp3s in the archive. Those mp3s get transformed to FLAC before use, because: a) mp3 gapless playback is an unreliable hack; b) mp3 replaygain is a hack; c) id3 metadata is a...
  4. adc

HDTracks issues

No, but I do have other issues with them. Oh, I see they've finally updated their backend so it accepts all valid email addresses ... I couldn't even sign up because of that, as of 2 years ago. Previously, they had hardcoded that field to accept only a fixed list of TLDs (.com, .net., .us...
  5. adc

Why bass management makes my life tedious

Very interesting thread, and makes me feel vindicated for sticking with 2.1, in a music-first configuration. I appreciate the nod to "artistic liberty" with sound effects as well; i.e., handguns that sound like shotguns (and make clicking noises every time they're touched or leveled). Same...
  6. adc

Seriously, Another MQA Thread Killed by the Mods!

Great, we've gone full meta. 4 pages of posts about something we're not supposed to talk about. :facepalm: Guys: go outside! Better yet, play some music! :cool:
  7. adc

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

And another thing: why, oh why, are PDF liner notes so rare? C'mon, folks; if you want kill off CDs, then FFS, make the digital version at least as content-rich. So far, I've only seen exactly one title which came with a downloadable version of the liner notes (thanks, Chromeo!).
  8. adc

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

Of course I do; nearly every title I buy is on CD. Most of the time, the CD is cheaper than a 16 bit FLAC download from 7digital. The download is the same music without the liner notes. Why would I pay more to get less?? The only advantage is possibly faster delivery, but Amazon can usually...
  9. adc

Why Aren't There Female Audiophiles?

I'm going to come down on the side of "they're just more practical". My wife is not super-interested in the technical mumbo-jumbo, nor certainly in abstract marketing claims; however, after I bought a modest pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a polite (as in, it's hidden in a corner...
  10. adc

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Oh, man. A 15 page thread for a topic that's barely 2 days old .... do you guys have jobs, family, or friends? :D Since opinions are like ... well, everybody's got one, I'm just gonna go ahead and confess that as soon as I could afford to, I ripped all my vinyl to FLAC, then started replacing...
  11. adc

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cable-cooking-1 "Unless cabling is completely disconnected for a long period of time, we don't think they completely revert back to their original, raw state. However, in our experience, all cables retrograde in performance over time. Break-in or...
  12. adc

Low-frequency Hum in my house.

I'll be interested in what you find. I just wanted to mention that, as we here know, low frequencies can travel long distances and concentrate or resonate in weirdly local ways. I would not be at all surprised if you find that the source is not on your property, but that it's merely resonating...
  13. adc

FM, any listeners left?

Exactly this. Discovery of new music, learning something I never knew about old music, and just plain being surprised, as you say -- that's what made good FM. KSHE in St. Louis! Anyone remember them in the 70s and 80s? I have a Carver TX12 that I bought at a pawn shop 15 years ago, and it's...
  14. adc

Are we heading for a time when all CDs will be MQA coded - no redbook available?

I kinda don't think the big three old-school distributors have the kind of clout that can dictate music formats anymore. Just a guess.
  15. adc

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

I think it's because we engineer-types have a lifelong, deep-seated desperation to make people understand how critical thinking works, and how unacknowledged biases affect decisionmaking. This may be a hobby, but the pathology it represents is no trivial matter these days. Not that I think the...
  16. adc

TRRS v TRS: what are they on about?

Yeah, I know how they differ, and I can easily see how misconnections could occur depending on the tolerances of the jack. If physical connections were bridged, reversed, or shorted, I could imagine the effects being audible: hum, phasing issues, unstable connections, etc. However, I've...
  17. adc

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

Beer ain't drinkin'. Beer's just whiskey that hasn't grown up yet. :cool:
  18. adc

Schiit Modi 3+ Review (Stereo DAC)

I unno, I'm mostly a lurker here, but even I can see these coming: low post count + pretentious alias + provocative language = obvious troll. Plus, I think people have been cooped up too long. :mad:
  19. adc

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Beats by Dr. Dre. (Juuuuust kidding.) I don't think there's a sweeter set of cans out there than the Grado 325e, but unfortunately, when I need headphones these days, it's to keep sound either out or in, so closed-back circumaural are required. None of them sound as good as open back phones...
  20. adc

JUST when you thought it was safe to forget about your hifi wires...

I'm having trouble thinking of any other industry in which claims like this go utterly unchallenged by any consumer regulatory agency. I mean, these aren't opinions they're expressing; there are specific (though nonsensical) physical and engineering assertions involved here. Anyone can say a...
Top Bottom