Search results

1. K

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

For most of them but it seems the AV10 will likely be an exception. Marantz have a slightly smoothed sound signature which some people like and some dont.
  2. K

Arcam AV40 AV Processor Review

In this case I'm referring to the noise of the electronics with your speaker combination. Start a film and turn the volume right down to -72 on the Arcam. Now check each speaker at ear level to see if you can hear any hiss/noise beyond about 6 inches. If you cant then the noise floor is fine and...
  3. K

Probably a bit better, the AV860 is related to the AVR850 which has been reviewed.
  4. K

The bar has been lowered somewhat for AVRs since this review (See recent Denon reviews); the AVR21 uses the same prepro section as the AV40 with a few improvements to the PSU, 12V tirggers and grounding all included (Some of these changes were present in later AVRX0 builds); the pre and amp...
  5. K

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Z2 is not intended to be used that way on the JBL or most mainstream units. Pretty sure Storm Audio natively support that scenario.
  6. K

HTP-1 offers Z1 downmix only. This means no Z2 switching or volume control. The SDP-55/58 has a separate dedicated DSP for Z2 so offers Z2 switching, volume control and Z2 HDMI; be aware there is no Z2 Dante support. Beyond most receivers the separate DSP means it has completely independent...
  7. K

I think it is the same DACs (According to their product manager). Wonder if we will see HDMI 2.1, DTS:X Pro or Dirac ART as promised. Anthem and Arcam are not doing that well either on upgrades but at least they have delivered 1/3.
  8. K

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

My guess is Denon/Marantz will get it but not sure if it will appear with Dirac BC early next year. The hint from Dirac and Monoprice is that is a little more work on top of Dirac Bass Control, Monoprice are saying they hope to be ready October 1st; will be interesting to see if/when Arcam/JBL...
  9. K

Interesting to see the user interface. I'm still not clear if the ART response is per speaker or per speaker group; seems quite important when you have a front rear sub config like I do. I'm guessing for more average (Not Storm) setups being able to use the front 2/3 speakers for sub...
  10. K

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Ch Amplifier Teardown

Not tried the others. I have a Nord 252MP based amp too and can say the Apollon has somewhat nicer build quality although the Nord is perfectly good and I doubt this affects performance.
  11. K

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Ch Amplifier Teardown

I've had one of these for years (Another 8 channel 502MP design): https://apollonaudio.com/product/ncmp8350-hypex-based-class-d-multichannel-amplifier/ The older version I have is 2 plug input like the Buckeye, if you plug only one in only half the amps work. The new design in the link is one...
  12. K

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

Most films on disc peak at around -3 to -0.5 but reference level is always set on the assumption of 0. The volume setting on your Yamaha is quite high too but as you are finding out reference volume in most setups is whatever produces a 105dB peak in your room with your speakers and amps. 78...
  13. K

I have NC502 (Apollon) and NC252 (Nord) with my AV40. Using the RCA input those amps need only 1.6V for max output. My speaker a re couple of DB more sensitive and my room is a bit smaller but 80 volume is VERY loud and 90 unbearable for me. Are you testing with a 0dB tone? Most THX tests use a...
  14. K

That is a very high volume. What is the channel offset of the subwoofer compared to the other channels. Is the volume more than 10dB higher overall when Dirac is disabled?
  15. K

Dirac Live Bass Management?

Thats not quite right in my experience. My Arcam Dirac Live Bass Control is tied to my Dirac Account and the Arcam model; it seems to work with any AV40. This means warranty replacement is a non-issue.
  16. K

It is a separate product with different DSP/Firmware code. The AVR manufacturer needs to support it (See above for a list).
  17. K

Did NAD claim they would add Dirac BC? I think Storm Audio, Arcam, JBL Synth and Audiocontrol currently offer DLBC. Denon / Marantz are claiming they will add DLBC later. By lack of transparency do you mean not reading the product specs?
  18. K

With the exception of Storm Audio all Dirac BC processors/AVRs so far have used the new TI Dual Core DSP for Dirac BC; unfortunately your NAD is using an older DSP which I suspect is incompatible or has no code available for Dirac BC. The same issue is present for the new NAD T778. Do the NAD...
  19. K

I think in this case it is down to the DSU version used and manufacturer preference. Known DSU versions so far are 1.3, 1.6, 1.7 & 1.8. 1.3 allowed DV with anything, 1.6 tied it to Dolby Surround Night mode for many brands (Denon/Marantz did not offer this as they have their own volume tech). Of...
  20. K

The XLR board change came in early 2020 and was confirmed by Arcam support to many people, my own AV40 had this change applied. If you get a quiet pop from the XLR output when you unmute then you have the old XLR board. I don't think it changed XLR performance much. The PSU change was applied...
Top Bottom