Search results

1. J

Kii at Axpona

There is no "Myles Astor". He's a deep fake A.I. pseudonym concocted by a Texas architect/community planner/and: investor in Absolute Multimedia, Inc. (parent of TAS mag in Austin, TX) named David W. Robinson. I suspected this when I saw half of "Astor's" face bearing a strange resemblance to...
  2. J

Two (vintage) flagship models not in the exorbitant pricing range of the more well-known types; but, certainly, top-flight in build and engineered performance. Yamaha CT-7000 Onkyo Integra T-9090
  3. J

RMAF 2016: United Home Audio (tape), Classic Audio, Purist Audio, Atma-sphere Music, Tri-planar

I find it odd, to say the least(?), how: Greg's outfit doesn't seem to have any customer reviews anywhere...nor, no employee documentation of where/who is fabricating these modified units.
  4. J

RMAF 2016: J-Corder Reel to Reel/Technics

I once saw a J-Corder gussied-up Technics where, seriously:facepalm:, they'd taken the blue background scale meters out of an old Akai GX-260 and had switched them into the Technics(!).
  5. J

Question regarding technical parameters of LPs.

You Know My Name was never on the HEY JUDE compilation.
  6. J

Speaking, for instance, of the Beatles...I've never heard a vintage, domestic-source copy of HEY JUDE (made accessible to the consumer "back-in-the-day") sound better than right here like this (the 2014 cd everybody clammored for, by contrast, does not have the same vintage mixes on it).
  7. J

Mother of all audio mechanisms

Not a tape deck --- but, one of the most (mechanically) refined and ingenious alternatives to record stacking: the 1962 Thorens 224
  8. J

The Panasonic 20-cassette, auto reverse carousel changer from the same era as the Akai:
  9. J

Fascinating Akai GXC-65 from 1972 in "Techmoan's" video.
  10. J

15 worst cars ever designed?

au contraire...I love the '70s Mercedes' wagons ;)
  11. J

15 worst cars ever designed?

Early-'70s VW Type 4 (though, the potent-for-then-VW engine would be reconfigured to be used in the later VW/Porsche 914) Late-'70s AMC Eagle 4x4 wagon 2000s Pontiac Aztek
  12. J

A 1965 Thorens 150 was considered the "next big upgrade" after the AR-XA because the Thorens' arm could be removed for something better (typically, at the time: the first generation SME 3009).
  13. J

Early Classic Rock: Why So Many Bad Recordings?

The biggest promotional venue for it was mono AM radio. There wasn't a stereo Rock/Pop FM station in America until October 1966 (NYC's ex-98.7 "WOR") nor...were there widely available stereo 45's until 1968. A combination-of: crappy AM radio; crappy suitcase $39 phonographs; and "teen beat...
  14. J

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

1975 Heathkit AA-1640 power amp (a "Franken-kit" once available based upon a combination design of surplus parts from a G.A.S. Ampzilla and Marantz 510M...however: it is a serious hunk of a tank moreso than those two and similar-era Dynaco):
  15. J

Fremer (reportedly) keeps a quarter-MILLION dollars' worth of electronic gear -his system- in a basement utility room(!)o_O Why??? would anyone (having any sense of responsibility over their belongings, you'd think, they themselves invested in) logically ever even consider keeping it in such a...
  16. J

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

It often results in sounding like a "gurgling" effect the worst on: (mostly) whenever transient, out of phase stereo signal reflections bleed into the opposite channel (as if someone was shaking a tambourine in a telephone booth underwater:facepalm:) or whenever the music gets "too busy" (which...
  17. J

1960s Tapesonic model 70 rtr:
  18. J

1973 quadraphonic Sansui QD-5500 rtr:
  19. J

Meters from a scrapped low-end Teac A-103 cassette deck I transplanted into a Dokorder 1120 rtr (one of the originals had been cosmetically damaged):
  20. J

Classical Warhorse Recommendations

That's a Classic Records 1994/1995 created release. The stereo recording of the RCA 1954 version never existed on vinyl before then.
Top Bottom