Search results

1. Billy Budapest

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

I don’t think the technology is “long gone.” It’s documented in engineering papers and service manuals. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. To restart manufacturing would be the expensive part. I agree with what you said about it probably being prohibitively expensive. I am not sure...
  2. Billy Budapest

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

The quick reference card actually recommends using the optical out to lower leakage currents and noise. The DSP still works.
  3. Billy Budapest

Yes—he is very responsive to his customers and to members of the public at large. Plus, he seems like a really nice guy both in the email exchanges I have had with him and in the videos he has posted.
  4. Billy Budapest

Yes. I thought this went without saying.
  5. Billy Budapest

The hardware deserves professional looking software, commensurate with the quality of the product.
  6. Billy Budapest

1). That icon is commonly called a “hamburger” and I have no clue why you do not know that. 2). It does not ordinarily signify the presence of a “sub-menu.” Rather, it is a control for a slide-out menu. See here for your own edification...
  7. Billy Budapest

No, just something more professional looking and without buried functions—which in the case of the Test item are bizarrely hidden behind a hamburger icon. Plus, the gear icon which is supposed to be to access settings instead accesses an about menu. It’s pretty much a mess. Usable? Yes. But...
  8. Billy Budapest

I’ve messed around with it and hopefully at some point he is able to improve the gui. The hardware deserves software commensurate with its caliber. It’s usable, but the hardware deserves better.
  9. Billy Budapest

In other words, what I said above.
  10. Billy Budapest

It’s ugly. For the nested settings, it’s confusing.
  11. Billy Budapest

The BX-300 is arguably Nak’s best “basic” deck but serviced ones are fetching a *ridiculous* $1,000 on eBay, whereas you can get a serviced/restored BX-1, -2, -100, -125, or -150 for $200 or less if you look around. LX-3 and LX-5 are also good choices but are priced much higher than the BX...
  12. Billy Budapest

That’s simply not true. I’m solid Gen-X (born in 1972) and as a result, have many cassettes from the 80’s and 90’s. Many of these are from small local bands and college bands thst do not have music available in any digital form, online or otherwise. That’s also not to mention mix tapes I made...
  13. Billy Budapest

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

The founders of the company left Mark Levinson and appear to have hired the same industrial designer, to boot!
  14. Billy Budapest

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

I hope to get a chance to hear a pair myself. Based on measured performance vs price, this could be my go-to recommendation for bookshelf speakers, although I have to hear it first beforehand.
  15. Billy Budapest

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Sonoma workstations can perform some kinds of DSP on DSD signals, such as fades, but yes, that is very specialized pro audio equipment.
  16. Billy Budapest

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

That’s actually not the reason why red light camera lawsuits have been successful. Most of the courts’ decisions have resolved disputes rooted in constitutional rights. See here for examples in Missouri...
  17. Billy Budapest

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

There are legal plans available as employment benefits for some jobs, but the plans themselves either contract with law firms or work as a referral network with a group of law firms. But for conflicts purposes, most (or all) state bars don’t allow “moonlighting” arrangements to my knowledge...
  18. Billy Budapest

Who would you consider to be an Ethical Manufacturer in the Audio Business?

I often hear Bryston called an “ethical” manufacturer. They seem to be an engineering-driven company. Their gear is priced pretty dang high, although probably due to 1). Limited economies of scale; 2). Canadian labor costs and benefits; 3). Dealer and distributor margins; 4). Long warranty costs.
Top Bottom