Search results

1. S

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

That’s great - but just to confirm you’re saying that audibly there is no benefit to using the silver Lundahls (which you’ve supported with measurements). Measurements certainly support good performance, but they don’t tell me how things may sound.
  2. S

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

I’m not really sure this shows much to be honest, the levels of distortion are extremely low anyway - you still sell the Lundahl silver upgrade on your website so why isn’t it better? I’m afraid we can’t avoid subjectivity here. One thing I am aware of is that magnetic fields couple better...
  3. S

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Agreed - flawed review, absolutely zero point ruining this cable into a low power preamp with high noise rejection. This cable should show what it’s doing with a power amp with poor PSRR (Pass XA25 for example).
  4. S

Pros/Cons Of Neurochrome 686 vs Purifi EVAL1 Builds

I have owned, NCore, Purifi and Neurochrome 686 - not needing to bother with buffers is one large advantage to Neurochrome IMO.
  5. S

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

You should add this in.... https://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=312&hv=1 What I like the look of on the Nilai is that is has more capacitance... I wonder how this one will sound...
  6. S

Mark Levinson No 360S DAC Review

Interesting - have you ever tried a Chord DAC? A bit of a generalisation, but I would have expected the DAC's you list to have less meat on the bones. Singxer su-6 is the current cream of the crop with regards to D-to-D conversion.
  7. S

new gustard u18 jitter -185 db

XMOS2016 does seem to be of benefit, details cleaned from another product using the XMOS2016 "Newest XMOS XCORE-200 XU216 with 2 Tiles 16 Cores upto 2000MIPS real time processing power in dual issue mode. It is equal to two XU208 combined in one silicon chip, one dedicated tile is used for the...
  8. S

Clock measures circa -175dB, real world performance at the outputs though? I would love to see a comparision review.
  9. S

Have you undertaken any listening tests against other spdif converters? I presently use Matrix Audio x-spdif 2.
  10. S

What to make of these measurements: Tortuga LDR3.V25

Listening to the Master 9 again now, and this does flavour the qutest in a certain way... a class A way I guess, if there is such a definition. It sounds wonderful and 'accurate', but it still has way to much gain for my needs - hence my consideration of passive preamps with/without buffer...
  11. S

Difficult to quantify, as I have no means of quantitative measurement, only comparative. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that if you didn't test these components back to back you wouldn't be able to identify the differences - if you listened to these different setups separately you'd probably think...
  12. S

LDR preamp now in my system - in summary, it’s very decent, but not my cup of tea. The LDR preamp I have has more reverb and longer decays (is this second harmonic?) than the Qutest direct to amp - this gives the impression of a larger soundstage, but masks detail (are these traits common to...
  13. S

Superb answer @tomchr - thanks so much for your time. Seems that I need to order a universal buffer ;-)
  14. S

Thanks Tom. Sorry, you'll need to clarify the ~60dB distortion figure to me. 60dB is a pretty large difference. The original Pass B1 (upon which the Mezmerise is based) is quoted as .003% distortion at worse apparently. So where does the 60dB difference come from? The MUSES72323 is...
  15. S

Cheers - I'll use my own ears first. Question...ALPS RK271 within your preamp design... How does the ALPS affect performance? Would using a Muse 72323 based controller or a higher quality stepped attenuator make any difference? I also wonder how your design would fair against a Mezmerise B1...
  16. S

Apparently not - I have read and spoken with a number of people on different forums now. In particular there are a lot of folks on the artofsound forum that have done back to back listening comparisons with LDR and other high end passive (goldpoint, khozmo with z-foils etc) and whilst these...
  17. S

Also though I would add to this (slightly overheated) thread. I fine these results quite encouraging: https://www.thevinylsource.co.uk/ldr-techical-test Obviously measurements are not everything when it comes to sound quality (for example the Topping Pre90 I had, whilst sounding good, is not...
  18. S

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Cheers. Your mod seems easy enough, does it help with directionality as well as distance? Which part of the remote snaps off, it's not immediately apparent to me.
  19. S

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Anyone aware of Pre90 benefitting from break in / warm up? Mines just arrived. I like it... apart from the poor directionality of the remote (actually the problem is with the IR Receiver which is obscured slightly, nothing an IR repeater won't solve though)
Top Bottom