Recent content by xyvyx

1. X

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Yeah, good call... I've got some velvet laying around that I got for my media room, but I can probably find some velour similar to what's used on my older headphones. From what I'm seeing, the synthetic suede used by the DCE's is made of polyester where velour might be cotton or a...
  2. X

Has anyone successfully replaced the earpads w/ anything else? I've developed some sort of allergic reaction to the Expanse earpads and am hoping to find options other than selling them :( I've replaced the pads on some of my older Sennheisers with some Brainwavz pads that don't seem to...
  3. X

Could AI design the ‘perfect’ speaker (or any other audio component !)

Nah, that's easy. A device/cone that's able to move in perfect response to an electrical input signal. It's constraints are that it only needs to be able to do this between ~ 20 - 20khz or thereabout.
  4. X

Start Monoblocks from 12v trigger on Surge Protector?

Yeah, if you've confirmed that the USB *only* provides power when it's turned-on, I think you're on the right track. According to the Hypex docs, their latest power supply for the Nilai needs 6-18v for the trigger input. It's unfortunate that it doesn't start at 5 volts, which would probably...
  5. X

Hypex NC252 failed (twice) -- suggestions for replacement?

I've had an NC252MP running in my office 24/7 for about 2 years now... it's been running fine so far, but it's pretty darn warm! (no music, just idle & 73F ambient) I should take some measurements, then drill the holes out & see if/how much it helps.
  6. X

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Can we find some common ground to start from? In the context of sound reproduction: A) Would you agree that, in order for you to hear a sound from a speaker, that cone/panel/ribbon must physically move to induce movement in the surrounding air? B) For that speaker to move, it requires some...
  7. X

Revel M16 Speaker Review

They're all machine-thread 1/4-20's. The pan-head ones are going into threaded inserts for the bracket. In this photo, I was doing a test fit.. they're all counter-sunk now.
  8. X

Revel M16 Speaker Review

FWIW, I created a mounting plate to adapt them to the wall mounts I had my JBL 708p's attached to... they work great! Those 1/4"-20 thread screws are super common too.
  9. X

"My god man, what have you done!?" To answer the question, the seal is ok w/o glasses. With these Oakley's, not so great... (fwiw, I can fit my pinky between the side-arms and my temples) And now, the seal is better. I didn't cut anything in back/behind my ears yet. I'll see how this goes...
  10. X

Just got mine delivered a little while ago... A bit of a stretch/splurge, but so far I'm really enjoying them. Been flipping through some of my fav albums & currently on Gary Numan's Savage. Really great low rumbly stuff here. Typing this w/o my glasses because I realized that the frames...
  11. X

Full range floorstanders ~$4000 budget

Yarp... those B&W's prices are also for "each" . :( But the 704 S3 = $1999/ea 703 S2 = $1499/ea An "outlet" 702 S2 for $1623/ea...
  12. X

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I love my M16s, but this sounds kinda muffled. And off-center. Maybe the spotlight on the left speaker is making it want to play louder...
  13. X

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

Yup, when I saw the graphs for it a long while back, I thought it might be a great fit... I should receive my SB radiators in a week or two at which point I can get this project buttoned-up & start with the tuning! (I just discovered the Directiva project a few days ago. It changed my mind...
  14. X

Amplifier Bakeoff: Purifi Eval1, McIntosh MA252 & Benchmark AHB2

Yup... and last I heard, the amp testing we see here isn't with a reactive load simulator. Even if he did use one, it's still just a simulator that doesn't necessarily represent the load of unusual speakers. I don't know where the likes of Magico & Magnepan fit on the "easy to drive" scale...
Top Bottom