Recent content by xrk971

1. xrk971

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

There is a thread on DIYA where the OP shows how to fix this. I followed it and it works fine now. You need to know how to remove and install a small SMT IC chip with a hot air pencil. I can confirm that the fix is good and has been working for over a month now. Here is my installed new...
  2. xrk971

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

Hi Amir, Thanks for reaching out to me on DIYA. We look forward to getting you a set of Vanguards with nominally operating drivers as it seems this particular unit tested may have off-spec drivers. I have sent you a PM. Thanks, Viet
  3. xrk971

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

Anyone who is handy with SMT desoldering might be interested in the self repair described by a member in DIY Audio. He had a similar thermal issue and did detective work to find out that the problem is caused by a clock generator chip on the DAC part that goes bad. It was erased of markings...
  4. xrk971

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

I’ve switched back to my Focusrite 4i4 Gen 3 for now. Gives me 4 balanced inputs and 4 balanced outputs. Won’t do DSD natively but that’s ok. I did not buy mine on Apos but Amazon so the only recourse for repair is to deal directly with SMSL.
  5. xrk971

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

I have other SMSL products in the sub $150 range and they all work fine after many years of use. Basic Class D SA36 TPA3118 amp, Sanskrit Mk10 DAC, SA300 MA12070 Class D amp. These items gave me the confidence to buy the $400 DAC, which, unfortunately, is the worst of all in reliability...
  6. xrk971

S.M.S.L SU-9n issue

I have same issue of static and distortion after 9 months of use. If you shut it off and let it cool off it goes away. But comes back after 20 min to a few hours of warming up.
  7. xrk971

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

I had my SU-9n on since May 2022 and about a week ago, it started making static noises and popping sound plus really distorted sound. I thought it was my amp failing at first but changing to another DAC (Khadas TB-1, iPhone dongle) the noise went away. Turning it off and letting it rest and...
  8. xrk971

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Nice work Gamerpaddy. Is the main amp chip a 3255 or 3251? It makes a difference because TI recommended PFFB Rfb for 3251 is 18kohms. I wonder what Rin is set at if you happened to trace that when you were looking at the values. That would tell us the gain it is set at. I speculated earlier...
  9. xrk971

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

You can use it, you are just tying the negative balanced phase to ground. Depending on how the balanced input topology is setup, it may permit full power output by rebalancing the amp drive based on only the positive input, or it may only allow half the output swing. I suspect it is the former...
  10. xrk971

Just stick a RCA to XLR converter or RCA to TS (mono plug) converter. The amp will ground the negative input and drive the positive side. It will sound good and work quite well. You might not be able to get the full +/-32v swing. So no high power stuff.
  11. xrk971

It depends which 2 of the 3 pins across are measured. Pick the +/-32 and you get 64.
  12. xrk971

Congrats to Topping for this achievement. It’s only a matter of time when something is at the top gets topping’d. How does it sound though in listening tests with regards to bass authority, dynamics when driving 4ohm speakers with music that has a high dynamic range? What is the damping...
  13. xrk971

Thanks for confirming this visually. Back in post 240 I predicted it was 3251 based on the shape of the distortion vs frequency curve and the noise and distortion figures assuming PFFB with modified level of extra feedback...
  14. xrk971

I’m surprised the amp did not have built in DC offset protection. Most high end amps capable of making DC if they malfunction should have a speaker protection circuit. I use solid state relays (SSR) and they work reliably and add no distortion to the sound (measured and proven). Class D amps...
  15. xrk971

Variable channel crosstalk (from a possible intermittent left/right short on audio input) can cause this too. And non steady phase from a malfunctioning amp can also as well.
Top Bottom