Recent content by wsmith

1. W

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch Review

Is this not more accurately called an adapter rather than a converter? It seems to be just a a switching adapter I've long used XLR to RCA cable adapters for years and no conversion was required when connecting my Genelecs (w/ built-in volume controls) to a player's RCA line level outs. I've...
  2. W

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

I aspire to a better system than my current setup after I sell my condo and get into a house and can play it loud. Until then my system is a pair of older Genelecs with built-in volume control, connected by RCA line level out to a set top Panasonic DVD burner capable of playing any disc...
  3. W

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

Hi Tim Link, As I said in my recent post here, I have been producing audiophile recordings for years. See my post above regarding my approach. Many live recording engineers have been able to capture the piano in classical recitals and concertos, where I've operated, in superb audiophile...
  4. W

Sorry Keith W., I don't do Tidal yet. I'm old school.That's why I'm hangin here to get some idea on my dream listenging system. I know how to output a Red Book CD though...
  5. W

Hello all, I've recorded many piano recitals at an audiophile level as well as orchestra and eneamble performances. I use Earthworks omnis (QTC50s) connected to a Sound Devices 788 recorder. Here's the secret you need to understand: you need to think in terms of recording the room as much as...
  6. W

Genelec 8050B Review (Studio Monitor)

Thanks for this review, Amir. I assume your results and opinion would be completely different if this or any 80xx Genelec for that matter were tested with a matching Genelec Sub. I'm considering a pair in this price range to replace my current Genelecs. But I not going to forego a sub when I...
  7. W

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

I'm learning a lot hanging around here, BTW. Thanks! The videos are great. Please continue more debunking and other general edu. vids as you desire.
  8. W

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

Ah, the face of the reviewer. Videos are great! Besides reviewing whatever keeps the site going, you should definitely do more of whatever is on your mind like this. If you want a little friendly from a video pro, I'd say the audio is good but there's a little reverb. After a while could lead...
  9. W

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

Flakey cushion rings to be sure. You can get soft cloth covers for the cups but I can't recall the name off hand. They cover the flakes (if the whole thing is not busted apart by the time that happens...), They also absorb sweat but they really help with comfort when you've got them on all day.
  10. W

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

This model has been standard issue for TV and radio broadcast and much film location recording of dialog. I used it extensively during the over two decades I was in biz as a location sound-for-video recordist (1998-2020). That included interviews, corporate communications, advertising, indie...
  11. W

Marantz SR7015 8K AVR Review

Hmmm. Stereophile.com just quite favorably reviewed Denon's AVC-X4700H, available for just over US 1,800. They didn't do the comprehensive battery of bench tests but praised the subjective listening experience. Looks to me like Denon is competing with Marantz on quality and price. No bench...
  12. W

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

I'm puzzled by this latest observation. I use my Genelecs and have co-produced at DAWs of friends with their Genlec models. Using them as designed, as near-field reference monitors. They are designed to close enough to render room acoustic reflections inconsequential. Now, I get it re the...
  13. W

By all means then. I am just offering the alternative position that decoupling the speaker from any chosen stand by using the iso-mounting plate + isopod would logically be better. Having said that, if you dont have any resonances feeding back to the monitor's housing, then you need not concern...
  14. W

The Genelec plate is specifically designed to isolate the monitor from the stand by preserving the functionality of the isopod which de-couples the monitor from whatever it sits on or whatever the plate is screwed down on. Look at bottom of isopod to see holes which mate to prongs on plate...
  15. W

As a recording engineer of live events I admit that isolation, i.e. shock mounting, for example, of a mic is often important. But I've see any of those that could be adapter for use with a studio monitor.
Top Bottom