Recent content by Wowarning

1. W

Sound stage depth?

A picture or painting is a good metaphor for the way I'm looking at the levels/depth relationship. When something is smaller in the background your brain interprets it as being farther away than the larger thing in the foreground, but you wouldn't actually point to a place behind the picture and...
  2. W

Sound stage depth?

Admittedly, I may not be expressing myself as clearly as possible. I'm not trying to say that there is no 3 dimensionality at all to my soundstage. I built a pair of the CSS Criton 1TD-X speakers, also built ncore monoblocks, and did not build a Parasound P6 preamp/dac, lol - my system is not...
  3. W

Sound stage depth?

I think you completely nailed it here. I might perpetually be in the wrong frame of mind to allow myself to be tricked into thinking there's actually a band in my room. I've played in bands for so many years, that a pair of speakers is never going to replicate that in a convincing manner for myself.
  4. W

Sound stage depth?

Lots of great replies and interesting takes. I guess I'll settle in on it being an illusion, and one that I may be less susceptible to for whatever myriad reasons. It's also possible that I just haven't heard the right speakers in the right room that would make me say "holy cow, I can hear the...
  5. W

Sound stage depth?

I get what these guys are saying and doing, but it isn't what I'm really trying to get at. To me, lowering the level of something and adding reverb to it can make it "sound" like it's farther away, but doesn't actually place it farther away in a 3 dimensional soundscape in my room. It just...
  6. W

Sound stage depth?

Unless I somehow missed it, he didn't address soundstage depth at all in these videos. He discussed pinpointing instruments lt and rt across the soundstage and how the dispersion characteristics of the speakers affect that through room reflections. Can you specify a time in either of these...
  7. W

Sound stage depth?

I went to college for sound recording technology for a few years in the 90's. I admittedly didn't pursue a career behind the console, and my career in front of the console didn't pan out, but I have a fairly good understanding of what goes into making a recording (or what used to go into a...
  8. W

Upgrading my 20 year old B&KAvR 507... need some help

Would you not be able to use 5 of the amps in the 507 by connecting a prepro to the individual channel inputs for the DVD? I have one and admittedly haven't tried - yet - but I am planning on it. I would think it would bypass all the processing and would basically work as a power amp with a...
Top Bottom