Recent content by WillerZ

1. W

Testing PCM playback

I'm sorry my post was not clear - I already tried what I think you are suggesting. I can hear a tone at 14439Hz, and I can hear the difference between a 4813Hz square wave (that has 14439Hz as its first expressed harmonic) and a 4813Hz sine wave. I cannot differentiate signals if the differences...
  2. W

Testing PCM playback

Exactly. I also, because why not, tried sampling a pure square wave. This sounded awful from the aliased ultrasonic components, as it should have.
  3. W

Testing PCM playback

I only generate sine waves, and my "filter" is just that I do not generate any with higher frequency than 1/2 the sample rate.
  4. W

Testing PCM playback

Any ADC requires that the input frequencies above the Nyquist limit are removed before the sampling takes place. So if we are sampling at 44.1kHz we need to build something in the analog domain to chuck out anything above 22.05kHz. Given that people can hear frequencies up to 22kHz we are...
  5. W

Testing PCM playback

My ADC is purely software, and my analog domain is just maths. But both exist, and the requirements of the ADC process are the same as those on an electrical one, which I found interesting from my position of absolute ignorance about how such things are built.
  6. W

Testing PCM playback

I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster. I wrote a program that can synthesize PCM streams at any bit-depth and sampling rate my DAC supports. I coded it to partially randomize what it does and to not tell me: my inputs to it are just the answers to yes/no questions like "did you just hear...
Top Bottom