Recent content by Willem

1. W

What amp would you buy?

That seems like a good idea. Make sure that you get an amplifier that allows you to set the gain to match the Eversolo. Many modern DAC's can produce much higher signal levels, and using a low gain amplifier then gives you better S/N.
  2. W

Paid reviewers

I think it is deception, and in my book that is dishonest. Sure, it may make money, but not all ways to make money are ethically right.
  3. W

What amp would you buy?

I am still baffled by the OP's view that the Eversolo is responsible for a flat sound. From all the measurements and from general knowledge about DAC's, that should not be the case. It may be that the Classe preamp introduces some unnatural spice into the sound that he has to learn to forget. I...
  4. W

What amp would you buy?

I cannot understand why the Eversolo DAC should be sonically challenged. In fact, it should be rather better than the Classe preamp. However, comparisons should be done level matched. My advice would be to connect the Eversolo directly using xlr to the new power amp. Make sure to match the...
  5. W

What amp would you buy?

That is not too large, but not tiny either.
  6. W

What amp would you buy?

That suggests a lack of power. If that is the case, you will need a lot more power. Going up to e.g. 2x100 watt will not do it. By the way, gettting your amplifier serviced, and using a high pass filter on the power amplifer and main speakers, plus at least two equalized subwoofers may be an...
  7. W

What amp would you buy?

My Quad 303 was more or less OK in a 30 sq m room but audibly strained in a 70 sq m room (Dutch houses are quite large). Upgrading to the 606-2 was my first step, and almost enough, but not quite. Ditching the Quad 33 preamp for an RME ADI-2 helped quite a bit for a cleaner sound, and the high...
  8. W

What amp would you buy?

This may well be the issue. Modern DACs often have an output level that conforms to the 2 Volt CD Red Book standard, whereas older preamplifiers had a far higher input sensitivity and would clip on the input. My old Quad 33 preamp suffered from this and required a special attenuation cable.
  9. W

What amp would you buy?

But there is a huge difference between average SPL and what you need for peaks that may be 25 dB above average.
  10. W

What amp would you buy?

I am similarly happy with my Quad 606-2, but it was refurbished twice. And at 2x140 watt it has quite a bit more power. In my experience 70 watts is pretty anaemic once you start playing dynamic music in a larger room. In my case, even 2x140 watt was only enough once I added three subwoofers and...
  11. W

What amp would you buy?

Hegel and Accuphase are overpriced. Class D amplifiiers are also more energy efficient, and that saves you a bit on the direct electricity bill, but since you live in Portugal potentially also on the air conditioning cost.
  12. W

What amp would you buy?

That is a far bigger budget than anyone needs for a superb amplifier. So if you still want to spend that budget I would suggest replacing the preampifier as well, with a modern DAC with volume control. I would also investigate DSP room equalization, since that will make a huge difference.
  13. W

What amp would you buy?

No point in listening to them. They will sound identical, and are sonically perfect. Select for power output, connections, esthetics, features like auto on/off or gain settings. And price, of course.
  14. W

Paid reviewers

Advertorials are a form of public dishonesty, and more so the more so the more they are disguised as impartial information.
  15. W

What amp would you buy?

Much depends on where you live. The Hypex and Purifi designs are modules that can be integrated by manufacturers, and most of those primarily supply in their own region. In Europe I would think of Boxem for the higher end of implementations or Audiophonics for value for money.
Top Bottom