Recent content by WDeranged

1. WDeranged

New phono cart needed

I don't find the VM95ML lacking treble. On some albums I even cut the treble. I'm 44 with some hearing loss in my right ear.
  2. WDeranged

YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

I've been running a WiiM Mini from the Yamaha's USB port. For some reason it kept rebooting whenever I'd change channels on the amp. Turns out that Pure Direct cuts power to the USB whenever you're using an analog input!
  3. WDeranged

YAMAHA A-S701 - tear-down, thoughts about the internals & few measurements

I recently spent a couple of days comparing the internal DAC of my A-S301 to an SMSL SU-1, Marantz CD 6004 and the internal DAC of my SugarCube. I'm very impressed. I expected it to be noticeably worse than at least one of them but it's not. I wouldn't bet a single penny that anyone could...
  4. WDeranged

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

I got a WiiM Mini yesterday and it's pretty damn good. There are a few small niggles and missing features but they seem keen on properly supporting their software side. I'm running it through the internal DAC of my Yamaha A-S301. Sounds quality seems about the same as my Marantz CD player...
  5. WDeranged

New phono cart needed

I did the same thing and tried the whole range. Came to the same conclusions as you.
  6. WDeranged

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Thanks for the replies. I'll pick one up next time I'm feeling generous towards myself.
  7. WDeranged

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

I'm consdering a Pro Plus for streaming FLAC files over my network. Either through DLNA or direct network sharing from my Windows PC. I remember people saying the Wiim was lacking in this area. How are things now?
  8. WDeranged

ifi Zen Phono Review (phono stage)

This was my impression of the Zen Phono. Very neutral with a clear, dynamic sound. I recently moved on to a Spartan 15 but if the Zen was the only preamp in the world I'd be satisfied.
  9. WDeranged

Classic Audio MC Pro Phonostage Review

A couple of weeks ago I replaced my Zen Phono with the Spartan 15. My only hopes were a little extra clarity and less intrusive pops. I pretty much got them both. Everything is a bit more coherent than the Zen and some pops have definitely been pushed into the background. I assume those...
  10. WDeranged

Something That Regularly Amazes Me

I agree. It's a superb example. But not the norm.
  11. WDeranged

Something That Regularly Amazes Me

I don't want to be a contrarian but I do hear several (two or three) clicks. I'm trying to listen around the noises you're making in the room. Some noise is inescapable with vinyl.
  12. WDeranged

You can see the details here. You're absolutely right that this shouldn't happen after only two years. If the replacement fails I certainly won't be using any ifi products again.
  13. WDeranged

Dali Spektor 1 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

For the price I'd take the risk. Their strong points are a big soundstage and deeper bass than you'd expect for the size. I've got the Spektor 2s and they're more than I hoped they'd be.
  14. WDeranged

My two year old Zen (v1.3) has started dying. Not a good sign. But I love the way the thing sounds so I got a new one. It's 1.4, so hopefully they fixed whatever caused mine to fail.
Top Bottom