Recent content by Watire

1. Watire

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

The point is having a ADC is useful to monitor how your elements are behaving. Adding the function to differentiate is an option that WiiM initiated, purposefully in their context as you explained.
  2. Watire

I understand. So we have to simply focus on the management of the source with the ratio between digital level and voltage output in the case of a DAC. From my perspective a precision ADC helps to discover at which best operational level a device can be run. It makes it useful to a broad range of...
  3. Watire

Is -6dbFS a good test signal level for mainstream benchmarking ? Or reaching the closer to clipping level is the best practice ? If a device plays better numbers at -12dBFS is it valid ? Can you read the absolute voltage output level of a device with the Cosmos capture from the get go ?
  4. Watire

Common cassette tape decks provided between 30K to 100K ohms of input impedance, some reel to reel had 50K ohms. Integrated amplifiers had 25-50 K ohms impedance for line inputs when they were popular. The higher setting of Cosmos is 13,6K ohms and it starts at 640 ohms.
  5. Watire

Looks like a 2 sliders situation, you should figure it out in 2 minutes ! The reward is not in the journey, but in the tweeking it seems.
  6. Watire

When plugged on a Linux system, the E1DA Cosmos ADC shows 2 sliders in ALSAMIXER. There is "Line" and "Line 1". Windows does not shows 2 sliders. I have never met a documentation explaining what the second slider does. This device needs a manual. And even better than that, I think it would...
  7. Watire

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Some of the iconic early Philips models were exactly like that. the CD 100 is still very desirable ! It makes sense besides a turntable on a low and wide Kallax. I feel you.
  8. Watire

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Top loading does not integrate with ease a stacked system or inside a furniture. For the few people that still hangs on to the medium a real gift would look like the Hitachi 1000. The Hitachi 1000 - front loaded vertical cd player had most of the meaningful features checked. When it was playing...
  9. Watire

Mofi StudioPhono Stage Review

How to measure a phono preamp at home without a turntable with a test record ? Do classic audio files RIAA treated from a software like Audacity or SOX are good enough ? How to feed the tested preamp a signal with the required impedance and voltage ?
  10. Watire

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

The PFFB treatment brings -10dB better specs here and -6dB better specs there. It is a true validation of the effort and continuing improvement of this TI chip platform at this price range. V3 Mono is clearly a gift for XLR users, and a promise of greater things to come for the platform. It...
  11. Watire

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

I wish ASR could featured more french manufacturers besides Focal. Cabasse, Elipson, Triangle Hifi, Davis Acoustics, all produce lovely small speakers. I don't know how well they are distributed outside Europe.
  12. Watire

Help me decide: external phono stage or stylus?

Can such a circuit be replicate on a bread board ?
  13. Watire

$/dB SINAD @ 5 watts, is this a meaningful metric to anyone? Should it be noted in reviews? Or should those interested calculate it themselves?

Just one metric can not be enough to evaluate the adequacy of an amplifier to a particular setup. The specification of your source(s) and your speakers require to account for power requirement, impedance tolerance, probably gain also. Not to forget convience on a daily basis. Having an amplifier...
  14. Watire

So if clipping the amplifier is the issue, and the intensity of the signal is the culprit, can we say that a louder cartridge will always be more prone to it in a fixed setup ?
  15. Watire

A 40€ quality preamp can be as enjoyable as a reference 350€ preamp, and almost identical while ABXing. You can test an external preamp configuration even while upgrading the stylus. You don't need to break the bank to further your reflexion. I never heard of the pops and clicks situation from...
Top Bottom