Recent content by vkhong

1. vkhong

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Priced at $1195, I think I know which amp it is. You'll be fine. I had that amp for a while before I sold it to another tube amp enthusiast. I still have the original Latino VTA ST-70 which was the unit reviewed at ASR. I settled on Winged C EL34 power tubes and RCA 12AU7 clear-top driver tubes...
  2. vkhong

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

I calibrate my VU3 to 25W at the 0 dB reading using a dummy 8-ohm load and 3.125 Vrms using a digital o-scope with the knob level set at 12 o'clock. There is also a pot behind each meter for fine adjustment. My loudspeaker is 102 dB at 1W, so that is plenty loud for me.
  3. vkhong

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

Yes. The IR from a smartphone proximity sensor (when you place phone against your ear) also dims the VU meter.
  4. vkhong

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

I prefer IEMs too. I would go for something like the Fiio BTR5 to keep my phone wire-free. The BTR3 has Bluetooth LDAC which works well with my Google Pixel phone.
  5. vkhong

Behringer DCX2496 EQ Review

I am one who enjoys dabbling with older hi-fi loudspeakers. Common issues I run into deteriorating crossover networks, surround rot, left/right mismatched replacement drivers, etc. Of course, that's what make those initially out-of-reach items affordable now. With a quality multichannel...
  6. vkhong

Amir is already in possession of a modded DCX ;)
  7. vkhong

The owner's manual is available under "Documentation" at: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B6H The EQ features are listed beginning on page 12 in the owner's manual, shown as follows:
  8. vkhong

Leema Acoustics Element DAC & Preamp Review

"LIPS is an acronym for 'Leema Intelligent Protocol System'. It is a communication bus that enables Leema components to communicate with other units in the Leema range. The communication enables simple control of power on/off from one unit, right up to the control of all functions in a Leema...
  9. vkhong

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Re-marketed with a more realistic power rating? Black Magic 25
  10. vkhong

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Current price $495 + $30 shipping. It's a little pricey at $529. I may try and get a used unit (much) later!
  11. vkhong

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

I think I am going to get the miniDSP Flex to replace my 2-channel audio system comprising of a Topping DAC and a Carver C-1 pre-amp which I use for line-level pass-through for dual subs. Main source: MacBook Pro USB (Amazon/Apple Music at 24/192) miniDSP Flex for input selection: MacBook Pro...
  12. vkhong

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

@captainbeefheart Can you share more information about the amplifiers you build? If there is sufficient interest from the members, I think @amirm could be persuaded to test your amplifier.
  13. vkhong

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

I thought the appeal of the SACD format is multi-channel analog information with lower SNR and higher headroom. A high-end CD deck (stereo) makes sense and the SACD compatibility was probably thrown in at the request of the marketing team. Perhaps the strengths of the SA-10 lie in areas of...
  14. vkhong

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

I am a fan of Don and Dave Grusin. I particularly like the live-tracked "Mountain Dance". It was my introduction to contemporary jazz.
  15. vkhong

Rockville RPA16 Review (Pro Amplifier)

The amp would be great for a set of subwoofer and tactile transducers. That's a lot of LFE and rumble!
Top Bottom