Recent content by valsidalv

1. V

Is this a ground loop or equipment issue?

Gotcha :) The iDefender+ I am using accepts an external power supply and provides power to my DAC via a phone charger. It eliminates static hum almost entirely (although the whine I mentioned still goes through). So I will start by buying or borrowing another DAC to test over USB. If that fails...
  2. V

Zolalll initially mentioned transformer hum EMI. Is this the same thing you are talking about? Could this be solved with a new PSU or a power surge bar/conditioner that has separate power banks?
  3. V

So with the reverse order I still hear the whine in the speakers even if the subwoofer is turned off. As soon as the RCA cables are hooked up the whine is audible.
  4. V

I see. This is all it mentions in the manual about it: I have also just realized something - my iDefender+ is powering my DAC with an external power source that is connected to the power strip. So, there may in fact be another loop there as well. However, the iDefender+ does eliminate the...
  5. V

Yes, that is how I'm using it and that's the only way it does anything for my setup. Without an external power supply the iDefender+ has no effect on the static noise.
  6. V

I can definitely get another DAC and use balanced outputs to the sub (it has inputs for them). Where this exercise gets expensive for me is if I replace my speakers with ones that support balanced inputs, but I can get a DAC and see if that helps before tackling the speakers.
  7. V

Thanks for this and the diagram. Would the sub be causing a ground loop even if I have the ground lift switch turned on? It is equivalent to removing the grounding pin. I will definitely have a fun time trying out your wiring suggestion - it's a mess back there o_O
  8. V

Fantastic idea, can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable and ran it from the motherboard's onboard soundcard to the subwoofer. There is quite a bit of static hum and it's really picking up on all sorts of computer noises. However, no high-pitched whine like I...
  9. V

Thanks. My motherboard doesn't have SPDIF but I'm not against buying a soundcard with it.
  10. V

The whole The sub is meant to send output to the speakers. It has a built-in adjustable filter that keeps certain frequencies for itself and sends the rest to the speakers. If I bypass that feature I'll end up with messy bass.
  11. V

That makes sense. Any recommendations for a DAC? I'm guessing I can safely go with anything that's recommended in the Review section of this site? Also, might a power conditioner help in this case, if it can better isolate components? I know they aren't favoured here...
  12. V

I just purchased a KRK S8.4 subwoofer to use with my existing Audioengine A5+ speakers, connected to my PC via a USB DAC. The introduction of the subwoofer is causing noise issues and I'd appreciate some help in making sense of the current situation. All of my components are connected to a...
Top Bottom