Recent content by turnip_up

1. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

That isn't quite right. Toole stipulates an even off-axis frequency response for speakers used in rooms that are reflective above the transition frequency as a method of achieving the most even distribution of frequencies at the listening position. The wider that off-axis response is, the more...
  2. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

We went down some rabbit holes while in the room, but other than looking at details on the screen during discussions I didn't get provided with any measurements. Why would I? It wasn't my room, or my acoustician... Speaking of providing hard data, what is the return rate for warranty repairs of...
  3. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

Just like a pimply-faced teenager working in a burger joint, do you just get paid to hand a customer a cardboard box containing a product? Or is your job in reality, more nuanced? Do you take great effort to understand the things you are selling? Do you take great effort to listen to the things...
  4. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

That is probably more revealing of your level of understanding of what they do than anything else, Keith. Nobody is really going to come out looking very good if we start trying to diminish what people do to naively simple terms...
  5. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

He is pretty right though. There is more than one form of knowledge. Propositional/explicit knowledge, and practical/tacit knowledge are probably the main ones. You inevitably need a balance of both to 'make' things in this world. No acoustician gets paid to jiggle with a clients room design...
  6. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

I wholehearted agree. The tone of Keith's posts have been absolutely reprehensible. The tone of a handful of people is absolutely reprehensible.
  7. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

But that isn't what I said. You said the word measurement, not I. I am simply referencing the reality the Toole's work is built on preference based listening tests, and not the other way around. To put it another way - where do you exist relative to every single one of the identified trends in...
  8. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

Nobody listens to speakers in an anechoic chamber. The in-room response is really the only thing that matters... because that is where sound goes into earholes. Unless of course, this forum has absolutely nothing to do with listening to speakers.
  9. T

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

I can't really add anything substantial, other than they are ported out through the base which makes for a great pair of handles when lifting them! All of the mounting options take it into consideration. Unlike the 'One' series which uses those rubber isopods, the S360s have threaded rubber...
  10. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

It would be great if the circle of confusion was the best argument, but the honest reality of day to day record making is that you would be in a very, very privileged position, and in a very, very tiny minority of audio engineers if the level of detail in a recording came down to an argument...
  11. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

All pass filters work in the same way most transducers do - which is intentionally bandwidth limited. 'Frequency dependant delay' really just means phase shift. Most filter designs shift the phase... All-phase filters just do it without altering frequency response. I'm not sure I would entirely...
  12. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

It is far too idealistic, if you ask me. While the measurement model gives some great indication of speakers that will be viewed favourably by audiences in quite generic listening environments, it doesn't really correlate directly to audio production. If you consider just one tiny aspect of...
  13. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

Well... its the most cited criticism of the measurement model, isn't it? Preference based testing that gets distilled down into what is essentially a recipe for making speakers using the most 'popular' characteristics... but what happens if you were one of those people who weren't necessarily...
  14. T

They do have a slight hiss to them, depending on your listening distance. I never notice my surround 8351Bs turn on and off. Sometimes I do notice* a sudden absence of subtle hiss when I turn off the S360s. My listening position is about 2meters away, which is around the recommended listening...
  15. T

"Much higher highpass filter"? The differences are pretty negligible from my experience. Flat in room response of S360s down to around 33Hz. There is really only about a quarter of an octave in it between the 8361 and S360 in terms of low end extension, which in the grand scheme of things, is...
Top Bottom