Recent content by ttimer

1. T

Dali Spektor 1 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

There is a certain charm to wide imaging and excessive soundstage, especially for some kinds of music. Also nice for settings with people listening from multiple positions. I demoed a set of higher priced Dalis in my narrow room and the effect was interesting and not unpleasant. I can imagine...
  2. T

KEF R3 vs R5

Due to the almost perfect vertical dispersion of the R series, tweeter height really shouldn’t matter much. Im also pretty sure that KEF were not oblivious to the tweeter position. Tweeter height is almost identical for all R series floorstanders, this is clearly intentional.
  3. T

Canton Plus GXL.3 Review (speaker)

When did Bose become German?
  4. T

Dali hybrid tweeter (dome + ribbon)

I'm a bit sceptical about it being more than a marketing gimmick. Mainly because their bookshelf speakers, even the high-end ones, don't use a double tweeter arrangement. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
  5. T

Prospect of Pure Perfect Sound Heralds the Death of the Established Audio Industry

I would argue that the average quality of music reproduction today might be better than it ever was. People with good systems in quiet rooms were always the minority. On the other hand, nowadays there is an abundance of affordable, high-quality in-ears and headphones. Money is no gatekeeper to...
  6. T

Purifi SPK5 Speaker Review (Prototype)

Doesn't that lead back to the critique by @Francis Vaughan ? If the small, low-distortion, long-throw driver requires a large cabinet, why chose it over a large low-distortion driver? Especially because the 6.5" mid-woofer size is already too large for truly form-factor constrained use cases...
  7. T

Why do passive speakers still exist?

For domestic use, i'd like speaker cables to be unobtrusive, easy to run and easy to hide. XLR does none of that. Not (easily) available in white, thick, not compliant, bulky connectors don't fit through gaps or through cable channels, the list goes on. Rca is a bit better, but then you need to...
  8. T

Why do passive speakers still exist?

There is also very strong path dependency at work. Good passive speakers last many decades. But they might require a new amp every now and then. Which keeps the market for separate amps alive. And if you own an expensive amp, you have a strong incentive to keep it and buy passive speakers if you...
  9. T

Dynaudio X14 Speaker Review

Ouch, US prices for Dynaudio are steep! Here in Europe, i have seen them new in shops for 700€/pair. Was probably a bit higher back when they were fresh, but still nowhere near 1.5k. The reverse is true for Revel, which are ridiculously expensive over here. PS: The design is really nice, i like...
  10. T

Recommendations for 2.1 system

Have you considered active speakers? Bette value in actives in your price range. Especially if your source is a computer, which seems plausible in an office. Which Cantons are you looking at? They all measure flat on axis, but I’m not sure about directivity. The lower series are made in the...
  11. T

What wen't wrong with MP3?, Why wasn't MP2 pushed instead as the defacto codec?

Like others have hinted at, anything over 128kbps wasn't really relevant back then. People with money, hifi enthusiasts and the audio industry which catered to them were mortal enemies of digitally compressed music. That was the domain of youngsters and pirates, who didn't have the storage space...
  12. T

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

I feel that once you reach the point of "building the room" and using more than 4 subs, the kind of speakers discussed in this forum don't matter much anymore. Then we are probably talking about soffit mounting main monitors and questions of architecture and material science.
  13. T

Cheapest Full Range 20hz - 20khz Speakers?

Keep in mind that those figures are for short peaks, powered by capacitors. If it was continuous, there would be no way to shed the heat and all Phantoms would burn out in seconds. Regarding the initial question, Nuberts Nuvero 170 with the bass extension module will go down to 22hz (-3db) for...
  14. T

KEF R7 - Is It Worth It?

I don’t think so. From a production point of view it makes little sense to even attempt pairwise matching of component tolerances. Keep in mind that studio monitors, aka. the really good stuff, is not pair matched. Pairwise matching makes a lot of sense for furniture grade wood veneer, though...
  15. T

How much impact does driver material actually make?

Sadly i can't find the link at the moment, but i remember an interview with a Neumann engineer. He basically said that they use conventional plastic or doped paper woofers because fancier materials are more expensive for too little benefit. Looking at the kind of performance they get out of...
Top Bottom