Recent content by Travis

1. T

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

Here is review by the observer of one vinyl story (in Sydney): https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/22/australia-boom-record-shops-vinyl
  2. T

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

You have to get to the first step, legal or not, that what the line in the opinion piece is false or incorrect. The moment you go outside “the lines” and start adding to it (digital media is capable of copying . . . without coloration) you have lost. You are reading into it something that isn’t...
  3. T

"No reasonable factfinder could conclude the published statement declares or implies a provably false assertion of fact." You should have been a lawyer (or maybe you are). The court's would agree with you that "it's not really meant to be taken literally."
  4. T

I'm telling you that statement in a newspaper, in the US, even if it met the requirement of doing some sort of harm to be actionable, would never make it to trial. There is a long line of cases going back over 50 years, starting with New York Times v. Sullivan. Anyone can file a lawsuit against...
  5. T

It's about perception. "Rich" and "warm". Those are subjective terms. As the courts would say "any reasonable person reading that would understand them to be 'subjective'". However, I think you have a shot at the lady who says vinyl sounds "beautiful" and she can feel it down to her bones.
  6. T

I posted the article in my post, It was clearly marked "opinion" and "editorial", however, the Courts apply the same ultra-high level of protection to "editorials" as they do opinion pieces. I have never had a first amendment case dealing with something labled as both, so I don't know whether...
  7. T

I agree it f you try and couch something as an “opinion” that is really factual, you can disprove that statement. But where you will fail on this is trying to get that statement to be purely factual in the context it’s given. The statement, in context, isn’t about “sound”, the statement is...
  8. T

Um close, but not quite. First, a newspaper can intentionally lie about anything it wants, only at the risk of losing credibility with its readership. What is a "lie" will vary with the newspaper, or, more accurately, the social media platform and the readership of that platform. Everyone is...
  9. T

Apparently, that Opinion piece in the OP was so popular the Music Editor put out his opinion piece at the same time: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/31/vinyl-labels-mainstream-music-price I remember his article about the pressing plant from many years ago that was making...
  10. T

It's an "opinion" by one person. They have the absolute license to print any opinion they wish, whether you agree with it or not, or even consider that one line to be "lies." That's sort of a fundamental we have in the US, and the UK (but not as protected in the UK as much as the US). That's...
  11. T

You did see the part where it's identified as "Opinion" and an "Editorial" right? If the one line in the opinion is so upsetting to people they should have left a comment...
  12. T

Essential AES reading for high fidelity home reproduction

Per Dr. Toole, a "classic paper" and it's free to members and non-members of AES: J. C. Steinberg and W. B. Snow, “Auditory Perspective – Physical Factors”, Electrical Engineering, 1934 January, pp 12...17...
  13. T

History of "HiFi" (and related areas like: Measurements of Audio, Acoustics, Etc.)

This is a very, very early paper on audio perspective that Dr. Toole references frequently and describes as a "classic paper." The best part is it is FREE both members and non-members of AES: https://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/bell.labs/auditoryperspective.pdf The part that is significant to...
  14. T

History of "HiFi" (and related areas like: Measurements of Audio, Acoustics, Etc.)

RCA 1957 FILM introducting High Fidelity, Stereo Sound, and their new 1957 Hi-Fi's Another RCA promo video which shows the history of "hfi" in the home. 4:10 "Once you've heard high fidelity reproduction, you'll be hard to satisfy with anything less."
  15. T

"Hi-Fi" sound in the home At about 8:05 is a section of the new RCA tape module (I don't know if this ever made it into the marketplace), which was the precursor to the cassette tape. EDIT: I found the answer at, where else,: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_tape_cartridge
Top Bottom