Recent content by TomJ

1. TomJ

Q Acoustics 5020 review by Erin's Audio Corner

What a surprise... FWIW here's the in-room response in our bedroom of the Q M20 (powered 3020i) before and after Dirac Live 3 on MacOS. They're on stands 10 ft apart and 12 ft on center from the listening position. At this volume, peak THD is 45dB below source (off the bottom of these graphs)...
  2. TomJ

Genelec 8030c or KEF LSX-II

I've had Genelecs and KEFs in the past and wondered about the same thing for a new bedroom system, along with the LS50W II as a third option. A friend who's a recording engineer suggested trying the Q Acoustics M20 first. I have no experience with Q but decided to take his advice. I ordered a...
  3. TomJ

Question for amp experts about SPL Audio (Germany)

SPL Audio (https://spl.audio/en/) designs and manufactures pro studio and consumer products in Germany. Their website describes the novel use of 120V (±60V) DC rail voltages in the gain stage of their consumer preamps and amps. They also appear to use a BJT cascode configuration in their amps...
  4. TomJ

New treatment approach regenerates lost hearing in mice

There's hope, at least in mice https://hms.harvard.edu/news/scientists-regenerate-hair-cells-enable-hearing?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Gazette%2020230420%20(1)
  5. TomJ

FS WiiM Mini new, can ship in US

New WiiM Mini in original packaging with all accessories. $50 for pickup in Menlo Park CA or $60 shipped in continental US.
  6. TomJ

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Of course... "whose outputs are filtered" meant "with filtered outputs", now edited for clarity. ... on the primary speaker. Digital inputs only on the secondary speaker, RJ45 or wireless (owner's manual p 97). Did I misunderstand what this means? (If so, sorry @Mnyb) Its EQ options, FIR...
  7. TomJ

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

That's not how this speaker works. Its analog inputs are routed internally to an ADC whose digital outputs are processed by the DSP and then converted back to analog by an internal DAC [edit: whose outputs are filtered and] with filtered outputs that are routed to the three different driver...
  8. TomJ

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

I read somewhere that Gustard provided a Windows utility for the EOL X18 FW update [edit: but I think that was mistaken, it was for installing Windows drivers]
  9. TomJ

Thank goodness there are exceptions, like miniDSP and now WiiM whose support teams are so impressive
  10. TomJ

All it would take is a firmware update reducing their peak V output slightly. That would also lower their SINAD and their rank in bar charts like ours. Re firmware, I sent Gustard an inquiry last week using the message box on the gustard.cn support webpage and asked when they plan to release a...
  11. TomJ

Topping LA90 evaluation and discussion (Integrated Amplifier)

Well said. Honestly, does it have to be like that? Is it time we stepped back from it? Our forum throws as much gasoline on the fire as anyone. The more we pump that up and celebrate the latest test winner, the more SINAD hacks we encourage in new products that try to drive N ever lower...
  12. TomJ

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

David, you are an inspiration to all of us. We will miss you and think of you with admiration and gratitude. Here's to a life well lived, indeed.
  13. TomJ

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Good news here: WiiM is serious about security. In addition to following standard industry best practices for internal development, they also passed external security certification tests for their implementation in at least one critical area. For details, see post #96 in the other WiiM Mini...
  14. TomJ

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Of course not. For clarity, Airplay is not the only alternative to Roon because you can use a UPnP music player instead of Roon for hi res playback without RAAT.
Top Bottom