Recent content by tomissoawesome

1. T

Capacitor juice. Dangerous or not?

Rage, rage against the drying of the electrolyte.
  2. T

Will ASR be measuring pianos?

If you want @amirm to wind up like this:
  3. T

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

It’s like the old saying goes…. You can have it loud. You can have it small. You can have it bassy. You can have it with good FR. Okay, now pick zero.
  4. T

Anyone see this train wreck in Stereophile?

The bummer of it is they used that beautiful wood to make a great big rectangular prism that looks like trash with the grills off. Grills on they look like slightly taller and more refined version of my Dynaco A35s. I’ll cite this review when I list Dynacos on Craigslist for a grand.
  5. T

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

If 80s movies are any guide, Neumann KH80 IV will involve @amirm fighting the Russians.
  6. T

Revel Performa3 to be revised, discontinued or replaced?

For those who might be interested, I'd ordered the a pair of M106s from Crutchfield on Saturday, one of which was scratch and dent. As a result of this thread, however, I called Crutchfield this morning to try to get a price match to A&B TV's Open Box price. The representative, who was very...
  7. T

Who's on Lock Down or Working from Home because of you know what?

I start working from home on Tuesday. I am contemplating purchasing my first pair of fancy speakers (Revel M105 or 106) to help cope with being home bound.
  8. T

Amir, you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't:

This post is in Audiophile Style's new, separate but equal Objective-Fi subforum. (Background here.) I guess there the objectivists are viewed as the noise and the subjectivists the signal. Rarely read much there besides mitchco. Though every once in a while ogling the eye candy equipment is fun.
  9. T

Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor Review

How does amirm benefit from remeasuring? it might make Neumann fans or perfectionists feel better, but how does it benefit him? If this review is pushed down by a couple dozen more speaker reviews, will it even matter? One might say: But they could be better! You can build trust in your...
  10. T

Expert Management and Lifemanship

This Potter guy seems pretty sharp. And I'm sure he's a decent fellow. Still, what he's saying in that excerpt doesn't completely square with my own lived experience. I'll concede that maybe this stuff makes perfect sense to fancy-pantsed Oxford intellectuals. But not in the south, I guess...
  11. T

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

Quickly measuring electronics has been a pretty big differentiator for ASR. Other measurements pop up here and there, but not as consistently or comprehensively. Still, for DACs and headphone amps, at least, it seems to me that ASR has identified: the state of the art the best values and the...
  12. T

An Enticing Marketing Story, Theory Without Measurement?

So on what basis are we supposed to believe the theory that various companies' pursuit of room correction products merely represents a marketing opportunity for brands and an irrational escalation of commitment for engineers? There is ample reason to distrust the audio industry when it comes...
  13. T

Kali Audio Appears to Be Releasing a Coaxial Speaker (NAMM video featuring Charles Sprinkle)

Mitchco noticed some anomalies in his recent LS50 shootout on computer audiophile, including a “gentle” upward slope at 2 kHz and a lower DI. It didn’t stop him from writing about the passive LS50 in glowing terms. Even praising it as only the second speaker to hit his target curve in room out...
Top Bottom