Recent content by TomH

1. T

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

I would bet that the bridged rating is close to Crown's rating. The non bridged stereo rating for 8 ohm is lower than the actual tested values. I don't know any one with the proper wattage resistors to do a bench test of this amp bridged.
  2. T

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

Interesting. Generally non polarized caps have rather poor specifications and the effects of aging on their capacitive value and ESR can impact results as they age especially in passive circuits such as crossovers vs active circuits. I find the lack of difference a bit surprising in your...
  3. T

What I find interesting is Amir's subjective comments regarding a very old speaker. I have electrostatic speakers and B&W 803s and agree speaker design has improved. That said, I rebuilt a pair of old orginal Advent walnut speakers by installing new precision polypropylene caps and high quality...
  4. T

I'm saying that when I connect my McIntosh MX136 to the Crown 2502 XLS via the RCA inputs on both, using a Straightwire Rhapsody cable, noise and hum are noticeably louder than connecting the MX136 to the 2502 using balanced XLR cables on both devices.
  5. T

I performed the same test on my XLS2500 with the same result. The RCA cables produced a higher noise floor than the XLRs. That said I don't doubt that they are interconnected as you say. My sense is that the XLR cables are rejecting noise that the RCA cables are picking up. It is interesting...
  6. T

The Crown XLS2502 subjectively sound pretty good compared to high quality amplifiers, if one uses the XLR inputs. The RCA cables attached seem to act as an antenna, picking up noise and hum from other system components. This does not seem to happen with the XLR inputs. If one inserts shorts...
  7. T

How much amplifier noise floor is normal?- and Crown XLS 1502 questions

A few thoughts. If you insert short plugs into the RCA connectors and the noise goes away, it's probably not the Crown's basic signal to noise ratio. That said, there is often a lot of ambient electrical noise and hum lurking around a complex home stereo and frankly RCA cables can act as an...
  8. T

I use Martin Logan electrostatic speakers normally but a few years ago, I rebuilt some original Larger Advent walnut speakers. I replaced the capacitors with high quality polypropylene capacitors the same value. Although I did not run frequency tests, it was obvious when comparing one rebuilt...
Top Bottom