Recent content by TobyJ

1. T

Inexpensive isolation pads that won't ruin the speaker bottom

These did the trick for me: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Rubber-Disc-Counter-Pad-or-Spacer-BNIB-18-5mmOD-x-1-5mmThk-x100pcs-/221803395628?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
  2. T

"The world's smallest acoustic amplifier"

I thought this sounded interesting, and I wondered whether it has any relevance to the audiophile amplification world. https://phys.org/news/2021-06-world-smallest-acoustic-amplifier-emerges.html Caveat: what I know about engineering would fit on the back of no envelopes, so forgive me if this...
  3. T

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Not wishing to be argumentative, but given that one of the issues at hand is the potential implications for MQA on the audio industry, aren't @Shorty 's findings relevant? (If all of this has been discussed before, and found to be false, please do say)
  4. T

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

@Shorty - your post indicated a remarkable piece of "follow the money" investigation. It seems to have been deleted, presumably because there was some invective mixed in with the results of your investigations. Would you care to repost, minus invective, focusing on the (presumably) provable...
  5. T

4ohm & 8ohm speaker set up for NAD M33 - is it harmful?

Thanks! As you highlight in your pieces, it feels strange that manufacturers of multichannel avr haven't taken up the baton of multichannel audio. It would seem that there an obvious alignment of interests there.
  6. T

Thank you - those made fascinating reading. I foresee more multichannel audio exploration in my future!
  7. T

I feel like I'm learning with every post in this thread! So - can i check what you mean by multichannel? Are you talking about quadrophonic set ups? Or something else?
  8. T

Interesting. I wondered about that (before my M33 purchase) But then i read that the multichannel av receivers weren't all that great for music listening. Maybe I should have auditioned some after all. Although, it has to be said, I'm pretty happy with the two amp, four speaker combination...
  9. T

Thanks Vladimir. I was thinking similar things myself. I was reading a review of the duevel omni directional speakers just the other day. I think I'll try to audition some for my next speaker purchase. (It will take a couple of years to save up for that though!) (The resemblance of those...
  10. T

Ah, I see! The volume control of the second amp is effectively as a percentage control for the volume of the M33. (I have just verified this through experimentation). Thank you very much for taking the time to increase my understanding. It is much appreciated. Also, my M33 and MLs thank all...
  11. T

Thanks Vladimir - that's pretty much what I thought - useful to have it confirmed by someone who knows! And yes, I had always presumed that adding a second different pair of speakers would sound terrible. But then I tried it, and I preferred it. I don't get the same tight stereo image as with...
  12. T

Just checking - there's no way to adjust the "pre out" signal level, is there? (The M33's signal is so quiet that I have to have the second amp at 80% volume to get any kind of sound from it) Or (it occurs to me now...) am I asking the wrong question? I've plugged the RCA lead from the pre out...
  13. T

Fetched an old amp out of the loft, and took the "pre out" signal from the M33 to that. Sounds great - exactly what I was hoping for. Began with a slight hitch - it turns out that the pre out of the M33 is really (really) quiet, so I had to turn the volume up very high on the second amp to hear...
  14. T

ooh, that's an interesting idea. So treat the NAD as a pre-amp for the second set of speakers. (I'll have an explore of how to do this... I might have further questions about how to make this work!)
  15. T

Thanks Vladimir. (And for my guidance, your definition of "not too high levels" would be what? Also - was I correct in thinking that the temperature readings of the amp are a good indicator of it being too stressed? (Or are the temperature readings irrelevant?) Thanks again....
Top Bottom