Recent content by TimVG

1. TimVG

OneMic recordings, hear what the band heard in the studio!

I don't disagree with any of this per se, but to me ambiance does not equal depth. I would not put M/S in the same discussion as there is an artificial TOA difference. I have used double 8s in Blumlein and M/S as mains and complemented them with with other mics, with very nice results under the...
  2. TimVG

Unless I'm mistaken, Chesky is small ensembles though. The inherent weakness I'm talking about is most apparent with large groups. Think orchestras. Coincident pairs of any kind as mains leave you with a very 2 dimensional with little depth. Don't get me wrong. I love a nice ribbon (or 2), and...
  3. TimVG

This may work reasonably well for simple recordings, but I'm just gonna quote, since I can't explain it any better: And yes, I'm well aware of level differences, but nonetheless a coincident pair of microphones will leave you with a very 2D image. Not saying they do not have their place, but...
  4. TimVG

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Is there a practical approach to determing the shading levels for a given arc? Looking up CBT designs I see quite a bit of variation in the shading used for a given arc, in the number of banks but also the relative dB.
  5. TimVG

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

This behaviour alone shows what kind of person you are dealing with. All he does is bait, and switch the narrative when it doesn't go his way. Which is quite often it seems. You can tell this is someone who needs to be in absolute control of everything at all times, typical of narcissists of...
  6. TimVG

He has removed all of Amir's responses on his Tekton facebook page. Edit: they appear to be back up - either my two devices erred on me, or something else is going on. Meanwhile he's still refusing to bring out any data of his own or his methodology. It's arguing with a child.
  7. TimVG

Talk about doubling down
  8. TimVG

I believe though since in this case the listening axis wasn't specified beforehand, Amir simply relied on the measurements to determine it.. as it turns out the specified axis performs worse than what was initially used. Whenever available I believe Amir always uses the specified axis, even if...
  9. TimVG

I'm a bit lost at the point you're trying to make. I genuinely believe Amir attempted to make that speaker sound its best
  10. TimVG

Except he didn't - the original axis provided slightly better measurements
  11. TimVG

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

RE treble artifacts - the performa 3 series can be prone to certain anomalies when the waveguide isn't flush with the baffle. I had to use a thicker gasket on my F206 for instance.
  12. TimVG

Luckily the NFS uses thousands of measurement points. Unfortunately nowhere in the vertical plane are there any improvements frequency response wise compared to the reference axis used in this review.
  13. TimVG

It would absolutely make a difference for a driver playing well into the lower treble. The exact effect would have to be simulated but I guarantee it will show up in a set of measurements.
  14. TimVG

DIY spinorama turntables

Sure thing I don't have my computer on me at the moment but can share tomorrow. You'll need 11mm ball bearings.
Top Bottom