Recent content by tigerapostle

1. T

Is there any objective way to determine whether the Apple dongle is capable of powering a headphone to 100% capability?

It's not overthinking if there's an actual straightforward answer. The main reason that I'm interested in the question is for the sake of being able to save people money when they're asking "which amp/dac to buy?". If there's an objective way to determine if the dongle is able to power the...
  2. T

Is there any objective way to determine whether the Apple dongle is capable of powering a headphone to 100% capability?

Amirm has done measurements of both the Apple dongle and Beyerdynamic dt990/250. In it he includes a graph indicating that it needs 704mV to reach 94db due to being very insensitive, and says "You better have a very high performance headphone amplifier that can drive its high impedance and...
  3. T

It's worth understanding that this topic isn't about me worrying whether the dongle can power my headphones. It's about whether there is an objective measure that can be applied used to determine whether a specific amp is capable of fully powering headphones. I'm just using my headphones as an...
  4. T

I don't see an actual sensitivity rating given, but the manual and website say "nominal SPL" 96db. 11db over 96 would be 107, which is still enough to explode my head. I remember reading on a forum somewhere that high impedance headphones are intended to work on high voltage amps (4V?), which...
  5. T

Yes i have seen that (but haven't read many pages deep into the thread), and a few other measurements of the dongle. I'm just unsure of what factors can be used to say confidently that the dongle is sufficient. This website seems to indicate that the voltage required is relative to the...
  6. T

It would be good to be able to recommend the Apple dongle to people seeking an amplifier, but I can't always do it in good faith without knowing of a way to determine objectively whether it has sufficient power for their hedphones. People often the use impedance rating of the headphones to...
Top Bottom