Recent content by thornclaw

1. T

crossover point dip

i have a pair of diy 3 ways with 2nd order lr filters. i thought the filters would give 0 db gain at the xover point but there is around a 6 db drop at 250 and 7 k. does this indicate the mid is reverse polarity?
  2. T

copper clad v pure copper wire

this may be interesting. measured in room response running 12g copper clad aluminum v 12 g pure copper. 30 foot run. done on a nad 658 with dirac. compared to cca(1st graph) there is an increase in output at 70hz, 120hz and at > 10k. the 5k and 7k peaks are attenuated. no other change other...
  3. T

diy speaker dirac measurements

hello i hooked my diy speakers up to an nad 658 and measured it with dirac. this is what the in room response is. the green/purple line is left/right measured response. the yellow one is the harman variation i adjusted it to. any thoughts on the measurements? i cant really tell if its any good...
  4. T

Audio-gd R7HE vs Holo May vs Denafrips Terminator

yes i know it measures terribly but i must have listened to miles davis kind of blue >150 times on that dac because it sounded incredible. on my current setup i hardly listen to that album at all. like i mentioned some tracks did not sound good on that dac which is why i sold it
  5. T

Audio-gd R7HE vs Holo May vs Denafrips Terminator

i had an audio gd dac 19. very colorful and vivid presentation. horns sounded spectacular but other music didnt really sound right. i understand what you mean when u say it sounded musical though
  6. T

The Cable Debate Just Ended

i tried this with a friend but unfortunately there was a fatality
  7. T

also, as is well known, decreased temperature decreases resistance in the wire which is why i keep the room temperature at 55 degrees for critical listening sessions
  8. T

i hooked some audioquest dragons up to my kenwood receiver and was blown away by the sound. best $48,000 i ever spent.
  9. T

measurements

just some food for thought. ive come across some posts suggesting if 2 amplifiers measured the same they would sound the same. i think that if two amps had the same thd spec but one distorted bass frequencies and the other distorted treble they would sound different yet have the same overall thd...
  10. T

measurements

as well as changing resistance, the movement of the cone generates a current that the amplifier would have to deal with. i dont know if the standard testing equipment simulates this
  11. T

measurements

when taking measurements of an amplifier like THD, it appears the measurement is taken in a vacuum. is there a method that takes the variable load of the speaker in to account? in real life, the speaker sends electricity back to the amplifier so there is an interaction at play between speaker...
  12. T

Burning in

read line 125 of this article https://www.dasklang.com/joomla-pages-iii/categories-list/23-world-audio-video-news/61412-the-conrad-johnson-art-150-power-amplifier.html
  13. T

Burning in

dont feel bad i wasnt even sure that was an oscilloscope all i can say is the two tracings looked different are we sure the revel speaker wasnt burned in at factory? also the two tracings are slightly different looking
  14. T

Burning in

this from another forum capacitor measurement brand new [AT capacitor measured after 2 days of use maybe this could explain things
  15. T

Burning in

im pretty sure amps need to burn in. universally people describe the amp sounding lean/ bright/ harsh and then getting warmer/smoother with time. i have experienced this myself. if it was just in peoples heads some people should have experienced the reverse. burn out happens too. i had a 25 yr...
Top Bottom