Recent content by thatoneguy

1. T

Help with measurements

The headband is currently just a bunch of oversized blocks of wood I found, glued into a rectangular headband shape and screwed to the drivers. Definitely not something I want to "account for in a real design :p I expect a final design will have no such issues so I disassembled the drivers to...
  2. T

Help with measurements

Hmmm, what if I stick the mic next to the driver at a right angle and put tape or something to cover the driver opening and mic. Would that work?Otherwise I need to disassemble it for all measurements.
  3. T

Help with measurements

Well, that's interesting. I accidentally destroyed my right driver so I had to make another one. Check out the results of this one. Keep in mind NO smoothing is applied to the measurement. and 1/48 smoothing was applied to the CSD. A naturally flat and non-jagged response. No echos in the...
  4. T

Help with measurements

Yeah I know, I almost forgot about that actually. He said he won't be able to do it for me for quite some time so it's just a waiting for at the moment until he's free.
  5. T

Help with measurements

No AP measurements yet I've been trying to find someone that can do that for me for quite some time. The numbers I have are based on many many simulations and extrapolations based on many many bench tests. Direct measurements are impossible, it will just look like a loopback. Creative practices...
  6. T

Help with measurements

It seems that the resonances are all due to the crudness of the diaphragm and the sub par manner it is mounted to the frame. I'm using a clamping mechanism to hold it down but the clamp isn't uniformly tight. I went through a manual sweep 1 frequency at a time and was able to eliminate every...
  7. T

Help with measurements

What is this filter ringing you speak of? Tension doesn't have a large effect on the bass unless I over tension it. Although the tension is a bit on the light side. Tensioned just enough so it doesn't sag, mainly just because it sounds better. Tight tension sucks the life out. I'm sure I could...
  8. T

Help with measurements

Thanks, got it :) I made that paper towel roll encasing for the mic and got some new measurements. The red measurement is the old measurement with just the mic. The black measurement is the new measurement with the paper towel encased mic. Let me know what you think. The new waterfall...
  9. T

Help with measurements

Well, I suppose compared to those mine looks pretty good then, especially considering they aren't optimized. I just realized that most waterfall plots only show roughly 30db of dynamic range, which explains why mine has so many valleys. Reducing the dynamic range reveals something a bit more...
  10. T

Help with measurements

I meant to ask if there was a way to smooth out the ripples in real life. I was also referring to the FR ripples, not the waterfall plot reflections or resonances or decay patterns or whatever they are. (if anyone has a clue let me know). The FR has lots of ripples in the higher frequencies.
  11. T

Help with measurements

Yeah but that's just cheating the visuals. It doesn't change the reality of the measurement.
  12. T

Help with measurements

Well right now there is zero rear damping. It's just the raw driver in free air on both sides of the driver. The headphones have an ESL like quickness despite the step response which doesn't make any sense to me. I don't know much about mechanical damping or it's implementations in driver...
  13. T

Help with measurements

But the step response of my measurement is unusually long and doesn't settle until almost 500ms. My noob eyes don't spot any reflections in it. Isn't the step response supposed to only be a couple ms?
  14. T

Help with measurements

What about sticking the mic into a roll of paper towel? Similar size and texture to human head. I know someone that did this once.
Top Bottom