Recent content by THAndy

1. T

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

For me it's more of a subconscious thing. I am enjoying the music better with the D90 and overall there's more of a sense of space and separation, which I attribute to the DAC. I do enjoy this and I'm not claiming there are no differences, but just trying to set the expectation appropriately...
  2. T

The differences between competent modern DACs are very minor. There are differences, but any claims of massive sonic benefits of one over the other are hype. My Topping D90 MQA is only slightly different from my 8-year-old ODAC. Even the DAC/headphone amp in my 18-year-old Jolida JD100 CD player...
  3. T

Thanks. I'm leaning towards it being a false positive. One of those sites I linked gives a detection history, and this particular file seems to be quite old and to have been detected as malicious on and off by just a few engines for years. If it were genuinely malicious one might expect more...
  4. T

I'm not sure. Sometimes files do get false positives from one or two engines, but usually the lesser-known ones. The Bitdefender Theta one got my attention. And that one executable file getting a detection from three engines is a bit unusual too. It doesn't prove conclusively that there's...
  5. T

In VirusTotal, two engines detect trojans in this driver package. One of the engines that detect malware in it is by BitDefender, who are usually pretty reputable. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4728cadcc947d3777654d89cf49ebfd4509d5f199ab59a7ce15c791d68e4c1bb/detection If you then dig...
  6. T

Yes. I was utterly skeptical about directional unbalanced cables too but in my surprise I drew a hasty conclusion. Now I can't replicate the original problem, so whatever it was, it was probably not the directionality of the cable. I have edited my original posts and will back away from the...
  7. T

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

The measurements of the prototype do look a little better than the THX amps. But it might be worth waiting until people have some experience with production units, including measurements. There can be changes made since the prototype, and there can be little unexpected details of people's...
  8. T

Thanks. I don't see anything immediately obvious. The input voltage of the RS-02 is given as +21dBu (which this converter says is 8.69V RMS), while the D90 specifies an output voltage over RCA of 2V RMS. So there should be lots of headroom. Input impedance for the RS-02 is 10kohms; output...
  9. T

When I put the D90 MQA into DAC mode I hear clipping distortion from my amp (Lake People RS-02), even with the amp pre-gain set to -12dB. I have to run the D90 in PRE mode and reduce the output by at least 7 or 8 dB to clean up the sound, plus the reduced pre-gain on the amp, but it still...
Top Bottom