Recent content by SuperDave

1. S

KEF R3 vs. Philharmonic BMR Grudge Rematch to the Probably not Death Thread

Thank you for all of this, Steve. My personal takeaway is that I'm going to need much more experience listening to my R3's before taking on the task of building BMR's (it's in my skillset and has been a goal for a while), because I don't yet think my ears have the skill to hear any difference...
  2. S

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

I am delayed by an unrelated problem which has revealed itself downstream of this component, and which has to get fixed first. That said, my mobo/OS appears to have recognized and operated the EX-5 natively via both USB 2 and USB 3, and it appears to be stuck on 44.1kHz. Can't troubleshoot until...
  3. S

Or chipset-dependent. My motherboard (Asus X570 Prime Pro) states in the manual that its' USB 3 ports are for data storage devices only. I'll give it a shot so I can use rear I/O if possible (my USB 2 ports are front panel) but am not expecting much. My EX5 is in-hand and will be introduced to...
  4. S

Can A Stand Mounted Speaker Be Considered "High Fidelity?"

How much would a pair of speakers capable of descending below 20Hz without notable loss while still being that good in the upper ranges cost, and once you owned them, would that low end source be placed appropriately for the room once you got the rest of the frequency range in the correct...
  5. S

Can A Stand Mounted Speaker Be Considered "High Fidelity?"

Which is kinda the whole point about implementing a subwoofer. :)
  6. S

I am a Linux user who just ordered one a few seconds ago; will post back with my impressions from Ubuntu 21.10 after it arrives. Thx for the tip on USB 2.0. Fortunately there's an external port available. :)
  7. S

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

I once caused a pair of Cerwin-Vega D-9's to offer their disagreement with that sentiment in the terminal sense. They cost me ~$800/pair in 1988, and didn't last two years. That hurt. But what a hell of a party it was.
  8. S

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

"Too much power" is an audiophile oxymoron, especially in the Class D era. Just turn it up less. :P
  9. S

KEF R3 Speaker Review

No. I don't have the financial wherewithal to indiscriminately "try" speakers like this, and the most fundamental understanding of the underlying physics indicates that the Metas - of which I would never express disapproval - couldn't keep up with a speaker offering all that plus a dedicated...
  10. S

KEF R3 Speaker Review

These replaced a pair of Dr. Hsu's CCB-8 coaxials paired with one of his subwoofers. I've never spoken an ill word of the CCB-8's before and I won't start now. They're competent as hell for the money, forgiving of poor sources and defining with better sources, worth every_single_penny of their...
  11. S

KEF R3 Speaker Review

The single scariest thing to me about ordering a pair of R3's, twice the price I'd ever spent on speakers before, was that they wouldn't be that much better. For this kind of money (and the R3's rep) the qualitative difference had to be more than "incremental." For that reason it was with great...
  12. S

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Good point; I was remiss in not clarifying that.
  13. S

KEF R3 Speaker Review

Although I'm unfamiliar with that AVR, I_do note in its' manual it has a setting specifically for 4 ohm speakers, which is of interest since the R3's are known to reach 3.2 ohm impedance. Marantz do not rate the unit's power output into 4 ohms, which made me look deeper. With that in mind...
  14. S

My weekend will have to wait a week, since there are also new speakers coming and this time I want to change the whole thing at once. Only the PC as the source and the subwoofer will continue, new DAC/pre, amp and speakers. And, as I've done with every important new component since I started my...
  15. S

I received my Buckeye-built Ghent-cased NC502MP today. It's a stealthy little piece of black metal with an Ncore logo baked in to keep it from being completely generic, 8x12-3/4 (not counting speaker posts) by 3" tall, 9/16" of that being the silver feet. Don't know if that's enough room to...
Top Bottom